We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

no idea where to go

lincoln
Level Contributor
183 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
no idea where to go

Hi, Would be grateful for any guidance for a nice place to holiday, never been to Portugal before, and its a toss between there or majorca (never been there before either). Have been to Nerja in Costa del sol (liked very much). We are restricted to travelling from one airport, as my other half has PD, so transfers are a nightmare, not to mention ques!!! we are 50+ and 60+ and like small freindly hotels rather than great big rambling ones, we like boats/harbours/nice restaurants/ walking to far is an absolute NO NO for my hubby, and we don't go clubbing it, just like a relaxed setting with good atmosphere, no rowdiness. Not bothered about sea swimming as long as a pool is available. One thing that I keep thinking of is the Airport (Faro) manic with golfers??? or no worse then Malaga airport? just want to get it right mainly for my husband, if not he will refuse to go anywhere again!!!!!!!! need short taxi trips in and out of town Albufiera looks lovely but would be far to busy for my partner, help needed please in all area's thanks a million for any suggestions xxxxx MC

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: no idea where to go

When are you planning to come? Faro airport is never manic with golfers. Yes, they come but they go with the flow. Faro airport is fairly small so easy to go to the gates or upon arriving to the baggage area/arrivals hall. You could consider Vilamoura. It has a nice marina with lots of restaurants and terraces around. There are two beaches, each at one side of the marina with easy access. Vilamoura is flat.

There are nice hotels around the marina, the quietest I find to be at the West side, right behind the beach (The Lake Resort).

www.visitalgarve.pt

www.vilamourauncovered.com

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: no idea where to go

Would endorse FTHW comments above.

I go to Vilamoura at least 3 times a year and love the place. Great for relaxing and watching the world go by.

Short transfer time from airport and never overly crowded with golfers.

lincoln
Level Contributor
183 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: no idea where to go

Thank you for your responses I will have a good look at Vilamoura it sounds ideal especially with it being flat

Have either of you been to Calla Gadana in Menorca? this was nice but a little to quite in mid September which is when we intend to go.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: no idea where to go

I'm afraid I've never been to Menorca.

Vilamoura will be perfect in September. It's still summer; the crowds have gone (August being packed with people) and the place being nice and lively.

holiday-weather.com/vilamoura/…

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: no idea where to go

Yes I have been to Cala Galldana but that was about 10 years ago.

Very nice bay, but as you said once you're there that's it.

I'm going to vilamoura in September, it's the best month to go IMHO

lincoln
Level Contributor
183 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: no idea where to go

well that sounds really good, are there good taxi services to and from places with a reasonable cost?

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: no idea where to go

Taxis are fairly cheap in Portugal. In the Algarve most taxi drivers will speak English.

8. Re: no idea where to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 06:16