We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does a similar place exist?

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Does a similar place exist?

Hi, apologies first of all for this possibly strange question!We are a family of four planning a one week holiday in mid October travelling from Dublin.But where to?I know a beach holiday may not be possible by then but where would people suggest that has enough going on and things to do if the weather doesn't cooperate?

We loved staying in Nice before and being able to use the train to scoot along the coast exploring Monaco, Mention, Cannes, etc.Any other areas that are as interesting in providing something like this?Would Lisbon as a base be good?

Thanks.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Does a similar place exist?

If you come to the Algarve usually the weather is still good enough for the beach.

holiday-weather.com/algarve/averages/october/

The western part of the Algarve is slightly cooler than the Eastern part.

www.visitalgarve.pt

To find enough going you could consider Albufeira, which is centrally located.

www.visitalbufeira.com

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18,821 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does a similar place exist?

If you're looking for some of the "cosmopolitan look/feel" choose Cascais/Estoril, close to Lisboa. You'll have a frequent, easy and cheap train to go to Lisboa if you wish so. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGrmfg1wabM

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does a similar place exist?

Thank you both for those links,checking them out.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Does a similar place exist?

I was here thinking to myself that maybe you would enjoy Porto and perhaps a trip up the Douro, a daytrip to Braga, or Guimarães... there's a lot to see and do.

portoturismo.pt/Visitar/Paginas/default.aspx

cheers,

Miguel

Edited: 02 July 2013, 01:00
Dublin
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does a similar place exist?

Thanks Miguel but wouldn't the weather in Porto be significantly cooler than in the Algarve or Lisbon at that time?I think Porto would merit a summer time trip another year.We are hoping to get some beach weather for a few days anyway.

6. Re: Does a similar place exist?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 05:18