We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the weather like in Portugal at Christmas time?

Saint Joseph...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic

I will be traveling to Portugal over Christmas. I am coming from Michigan, US

What is the shopping like in Portugal? Are there any "bargains"? Are there places to find inexpensive shoes and clothing?

What would you recommend I bring to wear?

Thanks, this is all new to me!

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,343 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the weather like in Portugal at Christmas time?

You've posted in the Algarve forum, which is the southern most region of the country. Down here at Christmas it's usually in the 50 - 55F range, 40 - 45 at night. It can be wet and windy but I guess an improvement on Michigan. A lot of people from the frozen wastes of Northern Europe and Canada spend time here in winter.

You will find the Portuguese wrapped up as for a trip to the North Pole, while the many British residents (10% of the resident population down here is British) will be seen prancing around in shorts as for the summer!

(You won't have any language issues here. With the large British population and millions of British speaking visitors English is widely understood and spoken., it is polite to ask though!)

Further north it is cooler and wetter. In the north east of the country there are 7,000 foot high mountains where ice and snow are fairly common.

Shopping in Portugal is not particularly cheap if you mean clothes etc. There are good quality leather and cotton goods made locally. Outside the shopping malls it's a question of asking around for quality local shops. Depends where you are. There is one Nike factory outlet store near Albufeira but recent reports are that the offerings are pretty rubbish, all made in Asia, like most stuff these days,

Where will you be staying?

Edited: 06 August 2013, 21:17
Mentioned in this post
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Albufeira
Albufeira
Faro District, Portugal
Asia
Asia
World
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,189 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the weather like in Portugal at Christmas time?

Although winter and a possible chance for some rain, it also can be nice and sunny and a joy to be outside. We've spent many x-mas days having lunch outside. Once the sun sets it feels damp and cools off quickly. Just bring some casual clothes and a layer or two. In the sun you will feel comfortable with short sleeves but after sunset you'll need to cover yourself. A fleece also does very well in wintertime.

For how long will you be coming? If you want to shop for clothes and shoes you may want to take a trip to Lisbon (doable in a day from the Algarve, or you stay the night and combine it with sightseeing). Here's a link: http://www.golisbon.com/shopping/ Compared with the USA clothes/shoes prices seem to be very attractive in Portugal.

The Algarve region has several shopping malls: tripadvisor.ie/Travel-g189111-c194110/Algarv…

And for more information about the Algarve: www.visitalgarve.pt

Under 'downloads' you'll find various books, maps, brochures and ebooklets.

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Saint Joseph...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the weather like in Portugal at Christmas time?

Thank you for your reply. Looks like I put this in the wrong place because we are staying in Lisbon (this is new to me). Not sure which one I was supposed to post my question to, so I appreciate your response. We are staying for about 9 days. I'm meeting my daughter and her family, as well as some of my son-in-law's family. There will be 8 adults and 3 children. Any advice on other links to check out?

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Inverurie, United...
Level Contributor
650 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the weather like in Portugal at Christmas time?

You should post future questions on the Lisbon forum. The experts on there will be better placed to answer your queries. Enjoy your holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,189 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the weather like in Portugal at Christmas time?

Indeed, it's best to post again on the Lisbon forum for further - more specific - questions.

Here's the link: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g189158-i203-Lis…

For more links:

visitportugal.com/Cultures/en-US/default.html

http://www.visitlisboa.com/Lisbon.aspx

http://www.golisbon.com/

www.golisbon.com/portugal/cities/sintra.html

parquesdesintra.pt/en/….UViuP3BBp0o

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,152 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the weather like in Portugal at Christmas time?

For info about weather on Portugal go to www.ipma.pt, in what it concerns the averages in Lisboa here's the link https:/…

7. Re: What is the weather like in Portugal at Christmas time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 October 2013, 00:35
8. Re: What is the weather like in Portugal at Christmas time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 05:17