We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Porto to Lisbon for airport

New York
Level Contributor
287 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Porto to Lisbon for airport

I will be taking the train from Porto to Lisbon on a Friday at the end of a tour. My flight home is ~10:30 AM Saturday. From my research on this site, I believe I need the AP train to Lisboa-Oriente. My remaining questions are:

How do I get from the Lisboa-Oriente train station to my airport hotel - is there a local rail that brings me closer to the airport, or is a taxi the best - or do any of the airport hotels have shuttles that go to the train station?

Is it worth the extra fare for first class?

I read that if I am on one side of the train I will have nice views for part of the trip. If I am traveling Porto to Lisbon, which side do I sit on? Does the website allow me to pick my seat so that I am on the better side?

Thanks for the help.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,133 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Porto to Lisbon for airport

There's a metro from Oriente to the Airport, it's 3 stops only. Depending on which hotel you stay you may as well take a taxi. You could check with your hotel if they have a shuttle service.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,267 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Porto to Lisbon for airport

Take a taxi or ask the hotel if their shuttle goes to Oriente train station (I think it's just for the airport, but you can try). I don't think that the extra fee at AP is worth. The website allows you to choose the seat.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,291 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Porto to Lisbon for airport

The Lisbon airport hotels are not in the immediate vicinity of the metro station so I would think a taxi from Oriente station would be the answer. I personally would not even think of walking from the airport and a taxi from Oriente will only be a few Euro.

The best side to sit (I think) coming from Porto to Lisbon by train is the left hand side in direction of travel.

Intercity (IC) trains are cheaper than the AP trains and only about 30 minutes longer on the journey. For travel on a Friday, especially in the afternoon and evening, do buy a ticket and reservation in advance.

New York
Level Contributor
287 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Porto to Lisbon for airport

Thanks to all for your responses. How far in advance do I need to buy a ticket? I know they are not available until 30 days out. Is it easy to use the website?

I have not chosen a hotel for that evening - I will make a separate post on this, but if anyone has a suggestion for a hotel that is convenient both to the airport and to a good dinner spot, please let me know. I've seen mention of the Radisson Blu - is it a good option?

5. Re: Train from Porto to Lisbon for airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 05:19