We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Algarve

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Algarve

We are going to Portugal the first two weeks of September, 2014. We will spend three to four days in the Algarve. We hadn't planned on renting a car. We fly into Lisbon then will take the bus or the train. From the posts I have read, we had kind of decided to stay in Lagos. Now I'm reading more about Albufeira. We are two 60sih couples. We like local culture, wine, food, some history, lots of shopping. Can anyone recommend which city (and specifically an accommodation) we should use as our base? Faro, Lagos, Albufeira? We would like to see the local culture before we move on to Lisbon and then further to Porto. We would not object to renting a car to see the area. Thank you.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,179 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Algarve

Faro is a working city and not much use as a base but nice for a day out.

For more local culture I would recommend Lagos. Albufeira is nice but has a heavy focus on British tourism. You don't need a car, the bus service is fine. If you choose Lagos there are plenty of hotels, some near the beach and some near the center.

www.visitalgarve.pt

www.lagosuncovered.com

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Algarve

Thanks for the info. Would it be better/easier with luggage to take a bus or a train from Lisbon where we land. Does it make sense to land in Lisbon, go to Algarve, up to Porto and finish in Lisbon before heading to Germany? Again....thanks.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,179 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Algarve

For Lagos you can take a train with a trainswitch in Tunes.

Or you can take a bus, which goes directly. There are 2 different bus companies.

The train leaves from Oriente station which is accessible by metro from the airport.

One bus company (Renex) leaves from Oriente as well.

The other bus company Rede-Expressos leaves from Sete Rios, which is reachable by airport bus.

Trains: www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do…

It's up to you what you enjoy more. Bus or train. You could look at the timetables and see which is convenient?

Yes, you could land in Lisbon, travel to Algarve and from there take either a low cost flight (Ryanair) from Faro to Porto or travel over land by train or bus (Rede Expressos).

Between Porto and Lisbon you can take the train or bus (same company).

Hope that helps.

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,198 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Algarve

Hmm!

Pity you can't get a flight straight into Porto or Faro to save yourselves doubling back.

You could then do Algarve, Lisbo, Porto or v.v. by bus or train.

Where are you heading to in Germany and is it included in the ticket? Have you already bought the ticket?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
20,548 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Algarve

"We like local culture, wine, food, some history," the Algarve is not the best place (unfortunately), but if you want to go there I think that Tavira is the place. Lagos is also an option, Albufeira is not. From Lisboa take the bus (no need to do changes) to go to Lagos or Tavira. From the Algarve to Porto (Ryanair is an option if you travel light, if not you'll pay a fortune just for the luggage), by bus you'll have to do a change at Lisboa, but you'll have several per day. With the train there's a change at Tunes (from Lagos) or Faro (from Tavira) and then it's direct to Porto, but less options that by bus.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Algarve

We are attempting to fly with points so that we can take advantage of business class pods on the longer leg of the flight. We can have 3 stops without backtracking. Our plan is Saskatchewan to Lisbon; Lisbon to Munich and Munich to Saskatchewan. We could fly into Faro however, we would then have to find our way back to Faro to fly to Munich. Does this make sense? You are right in saying it would be much better to land in Faro or Porto but alas...... No, we have not been able to secure seats yet. Hoping they will open up soon. Please keep the suggestions coming. As far as bus versus train, we thought we would choose whichever way we could see most of the countryside. We're not planning on renting a vehicle but that is not out of the question. We have 2 weeks in Portugal and thought we should see the three main areas. Suggestions?

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,179 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Algarve

It's not that bad, the journey is part of the travel experience and you get to see some of the countryside.

Earlier this month you had some posts about the itinerary

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189100-i201-k6813…

Maybe you could come with more specific questions?

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,198 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Algarve

It would make sense if you could/would fly one leg on low cost!

Saskatchewan - Munich - Faro - Train/bus to Lisbon, Train/Bus to Porto, then Fly Ryanair.com back to Faro to connect with Lufthansa. I think Lufthansa also fly into Porto so you could do the routing in reverse also.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Algarve

You are right. They do fly into Faro. So our choices are to fly into Lisbon, Porto or Faro. We think our chances are better of getting a business class flight to Lisbon because there are many more each day. If we had the choice, we would finish our vacation in Germany however we can tack it on either end of the Portugal trip. You are so right FTHW - the travel is part of the experience. We don't mind that part of it at all. We are totally open to day tours and river tours. Our problem is that we are trying to see the entire country. We thought that if we based in the Algarve, we would see the beach area. Then moving up to Lisbon, we would see the city as well as side trips. We talked about going to Porto after that to see wine country and the Douro River area. Nothing has been booked until we know specific dates. I'm trying to get all the information gathered so that once the seats become available, we can book whatever we want. Do you have recommendations? I'm sorry my questions aren't specific yet....they will be.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,179 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Algarve

Your idea to split between Lisbon, Porto and Faro is fine! In your previous post tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189100-i201-k6813… a lot of suggestions were given for these areas.