We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spain or Portugal

Amsterdam, The...
8 posts
Save Topic
Spain or Portugal

Hi guys,

I am planning to make a rountrip in Spain or Portugal or both but I got so confused with all travel details. I am arranging a nice family trip for my parents and sister. We are having the trip in the beginning of August and will be flying from Amsterdam.

We have 1 week. We were thinking to start in Lisbon and end in Seville. But, if we rent a car in Lisbon then it is expensive to drop-off in Seville. Another idea is to only focus in Portugal or in Spain. If the Portugal, where would be nice places for a rountrip? If the Spain, also which places (have been in Barcelona). Too many questions, but I will be grateful, if you can help me to arrange this trip.

Ps. We are more into culture, wineyards, history, good food, relax and enjoy...

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,118 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Spain or Portugal

It is indeed quite expensive to rent a car in Portugal and drop it off in Spain, so if you only have one week I would focus on either country. For Spain you best post on the Spain forum.

For Portugal:

August is high season and the coastal areas will be packed with people, especially the south.

Given your interest you could choose the North and fly to Porto. From there visit the Douro valley and go North to Guimarães, Braga, Barcelos, Viana do Castelo and back to Porto along the coast.

www.visitportugal.com

http://www.dourovalley.eu/en/pagegen.aspx

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,353 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spain or Portugal

1 week only will give you a glimpse of Portugal and even less of Spain (it's 4 times bigger than Portugal). In August, Sevilla and all inland Andalucia, is extremely hot, it's advisable to be indoors for most of the afternoon.

Amsterdam, The...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Spain or Portugal

I will consider your advises. Thanks a lot!

Amsterdam, The...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Spain or Portugal

Hi guys, at the end I decided to visit Portugal over Spain and I need more information. I will start in Lisbon and finish at Porto. I will explore Lisbon and North. Thinking Lisbon, Sintre, Porto, Douro valley and more?

Which places more can I add to my trip? I am thinking to rent a car since we will be 4 people so this will make the things easier. Also any hotel recommendations?

Appreciated for your help!

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,118 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Spain or Portugal

You could consider this:

2 days Lisbon

1 day Sintra

1 day Tomar

1 day Coimbra

2 days Porto

1 day Douro

Edited: 11 February 2014, 21:48
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spain or Portugal

fly to faro, hire a car with zit auto, 40 mins drive to eastern algrave, here you will find all of these lovely towns that are still very portuguese, tavira, manta rota, altura, vila nova de cacela, and from manta rota its 13km to spain where you will find ayamonte, you can travel i think 2 hours into spain in their cars and as far as seville, roads are bliss all the way as well!

7. Re: Spain or Portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2015, 05:19