We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting excited

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Getting excited

Hubby and I can't wait to return to Portugal in late April/early May. This will be our third trip to Portugal with two new destinations being Evora and Nazare along with three glorious days in Lisbon.

For the first part of the trip, we will have a rental car. Any recommendations of must sees in the Evora area would be appreciated along with a stop/s between Evora/Nazare/Lisbon. Yes, I am a history buff.

I am in the process of reading "Lisbon, War in the Shadows of the City of Light, 1939-1945". What an interesting read. Is there some kind of "walk" or tour of Lisbon that includes what went on during WWII? It might be a fun thing to do.

I already know I MUST return to the marvelous glove shop in the Chiado and get a pair of gloves for me. Last time, I bought a pair for my daughter which she adores.

I would love some recommendations for seafood restaurants not too far from the new to us hotel we are staying at being the Lisboa Carmo Hotel. I went through my notes of our last trip in 2012 and didn't find anything close.

Thanks in advance for any and all help to make our next trip Portugal as grand as those in the past. Yours, Claudia

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Lisbon
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Lisbon Chill-Out Free Tour
City Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Douro Exclusive
Wine Tours & Tastings , Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Inside Lisbon Tours
Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting excited

I would suggest heading from Nazare inland to

Tomar, (Old Templar Castle) ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomar )

and then head through the Ribatejo via Montemar de Novo to Evora.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve
Level Contributor
14,187 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting excited

The megalithic complex in Guadalupe, east of Evora:

evoraportugal.com/attractions/almendres-crom…

http://goo.gl/maps/bOm2F

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting excited

Hi Claudia

For some cool sites in the Évora area I suggest the following:

- Templo de Diana;

- Capela dos ossos;

- Gruta do Escoural;

For seafood restaurants you have Cervejaria Trindade, a Lisbon classic, not far from Lisboa Carmo Hotel. If you decide to walk a bit more you should try Ramiro.

Have a nice trip

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
21,663 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting excited

Touristic infos about Évora …cm-evora.pt/guiaturistico/…itinerary.htm

If you want to see medieval villages go to Monsaraz and Évora Monte. If you want to be at the actual site of a medieval battle on your way to Nazaré stop close to Batalha and go to the Battle of Aljubarrota Interpretation Centre http://www.fundacao-aljubarrota.pt/?idl=2

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting excited

Thank you all for your suggestions! On our last trip to Portugal, we visited Tomar. We VERY much enjoyed our visit to Convento de Christo and the town itself which we got to spend an evening at. I guess my only slight disappointment was there was only a hole and a sign that this is where the chambers of Prince Henry were. Several pictures from Tomar adorn my wall of travel pictures that I just created in my bedroom.

REALLY like the idea of Battle of Aljubarrota Interpretation Centre and perhaps, a quick stop at the cathedral in Batalha. I love the intro video to the website. It is something I can use with my students. I think that Prince Henry the Navigator is buried at Batalha. Prince Henry has been one of the 'themes' of our last two visits to Portugal. I teach a unit on early explorers and my fifth grade students love all the pictures and stories that we have collected over the long years in both Spain and Portugal. It makes it come alive for them not just something that they read in a book.

Thanks for what to do in Evora. It is appreciated.

The Lisbon restaurant suggestions are also appreciated. I love to cook and eat and no matter where we travel, eating local food is so important. I just purchased a Portuguese cookbook by David Leite who shares some of the same connections to Portugal that I have. My paternal grandmother's family all came from the Azores and Portugal. She was a fabulous cook and I am trying to make connections to what she cooked and how it was influenced by her roots. I have a small notebook of some her favorite recipes which I always thought were just traditional New England American recipes.. Maybe NOT so much.

Travel is so much more fun when you dig into the history and the culture. Yours, Claudia

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
21,663 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting excited

Yes, the founder of the Aviz Dynasty and his sons (except Duarte) are all laid to rest in the Founder’s Chapel of the Monastery of Batalha, the first Royal Pantheon ever built in Portugal. www.mosteirobatalha.pt/en/index.php…

Go also to Alcobaça and discover something about the portuguese Romeu and Juliet (D. Pedro I and Inês). www.mosteiroalcobaca.pt/en/index.php…

juliedawnfox.com/2012/…

7. Re: Getting excited

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 07:17