We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phone / internet

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
cell phone / internet

HI,, I am wondering if anyone has experience from a recent trip about how to best stay connected to back home.

I am going for one month in July to Portugal... but need to stay connected to family back in Canada and the US...

I currently have an iPhone.. but I an wondering if that is the best way to stay connected. I don't necessarily need to call.. but even texts or emails would work...

Any suggestions as to what would be best for this time frame??

Thanks in advance!!

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cell phone / internet

Load Skype on your iPhone and use it to call via wifi in your hotel, (if wifi is free) or one of the many cafes/restaurants(even Mac and Dons) that offer free wifi throughout Lisbon.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cell phone / internet

Here are previous posts which may give more info: tripadvisor.com/…55605137

and

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189112-i331-k7144…

If your phone is unlocked you can buy a local SIM card for as little as 10 euro (it has credits on it for 10 euro).

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cell phone / internet

Thank you for the helpful posts:)

The roaming is usually the worst.. but this helps some:) I will have to explore what I need to do :) I appreciate the links to other posts for help as well:)

I am not sure if where I will be there will be any wifi or internet...(I am staying most of the time with relatives..... older relatives in a very small town,,.. and they don't have internet, or tv, etc..... )

I may need to figure out a plan from here before I go.. just they seem to be very expensive from what I have been able to find... but I am sure there is a solution to everything:)

Thank you again:)

Maria

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cell phone / internet

Maria,

You would be surprised how many small cafes, bars and restaurants have free wifi now even in small towns and villages.

Also, many Camaras and libraries also offer free wifi in their areas.

PT-MEO have a wifi hotspot voucher system - see

https:/…InPortugal.aspx

https:/…BuyAVoucher.aspx

Is your iPhone unblocked and where are you going to spend most of your time?

portugal
Level Contributor
232 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cell phone / internet

Where are you staying? If in albufeira fat cats has a free phone to landlines in most of the world

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cell phone / internet

Hi Again,

Thank you again for all the great responses.

I will be staying with family most of the time in a small village (near Fatima)

We will be exploring Portugal some but mostly within an hour from where I will be staying.

I know there is one café in the village,., I don't know how equipped it is with technology, but the problem with that is "everyone" knows who you are.. and it would be nice to communicate to my kids back home without being interrupted:)etc... .. then of course the other issue is the time change...(six hours ahead in Portugal)

I would want to connect a couple of times when the kids here are awake... etc, and might be difficult to do in that regard..

I am wondering.... Would it make sense to maybe buy a phone say at the airport? or in Fatima?.. and use that instead of my iPhone. are there "inexpensive" phones I can use while there??

And yes my iPhone is locked:(

Thanks again everyone:)

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cell phone / internet

It's a pity your phone is blocked as I would say that you could by a lycamobile sim and plug it into your phone:

http://www.lycamobile.pt/por/

I would therefore suggest that you get yourself one of the Lycamobile sims anyway, then trundle down to the CTT at Lisbon Airport, in the entrance hall on the departures level or at the CTT in Fatima ( RUA CÓNEGO FORMIGÃO Nº 30 2495-999 FÁTIMA ) and get yourself a bottom of the range unblocked UZO mobile like this:

http://bit.ly/1iDSW57

You could then get a lycamobile sim.and fit it.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cell phone / internet

You can purchase MEO wifi vouchers online. Its €25 per week or about $38 CDN, if you google MEO wifi vochers you'll find the page. I bought some for my kids who are there now for a couple of weeks. Its basically customers routers that are your hotspots but if your near a med to large city you should have a decent signal The MEO site shows you the coverage zones per city. There is another company called Nos, who go by ZON@FON. They can only be purchased on your device via internet by apps available on the apple and android stores. I think 5 days is €12.50. If you're frugal, many cafes and all mcdonalds have free wifi. Good luck - Anthony from Canada.

Edited: 29 June 2014, 03:31
9. Re: cell phone / internet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 05:17