We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help: 2 weeks in Portugal

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help: 2 weeks in Portugal

Hello! I'm in the process of planning a trip to Portugal from May 29 to June 12 and could use some help. I've already bought the airfare and rented an apartment in Lisbon from May 29 to June 5 but need help planning the rest of our trip. This is what I'm thinking so far:

1 day to relax/get over jet lag - Thurs

3 days in Lisbon - Friday - Sunday

1 day in Sintra (day trip from Lisbon) - Monday

1 day Nazare? Evora? (day trip from Lisbon) - Tuesday

1 day in Cascais? Estoril? (day trip from Lisbon)- Wed

*leave Lisbon*

2 days somewhere between Lisbon and Porto - somewhere relaxing, not a big city - Thurs, Fri

*leave that area*

4 days in Porto and Douro Valley area

*leave Porto*

1 more afternoon in Lisbon - Wed

Fly home Thurs morning from Lisbon

I could really use some advice in where to go other than Lisbon and Sintra. I've found a place in Porto to rent but I'd like to also stay in a smaller village between Lisbon and Porto to break things up a bit but don't know where. I also don't know what to do or where to go in the Douro Valley, but everyone says to go there if you want to experience the wine and vineyards.

We're flying in and out of Lisbon which is why we'll come back the last day (should have thought to fly home from Porto but I don't think I can change the ticket now). We'd like to use public transportation as we're a bit hesitant to drive in a foreign country where we can't read the road signs, etc.

Any suggestions on which cities to visit after Lisbon and Sintra? Or where to stay in a village between Lisbon and Porto? My husband and I are in our 30s and enjoy historical places, experiencing the culture, and good food and wine. We're trying to stay at affordable or mid-range places to have more money for tours, souvenirs, and gourmet dinners.

I'm half Portuguese and am trying to get back in touch with my roots, so I'd love to experience as many traditions and cultural dishes and wines as possible. :)

I'd appreciate any suggestions or advice, thanks!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
21,734 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help: 2 weeks in Portugal

If you want to know a bit about wines in Portugal (there are many options) you have this site for a start …turismodeportugal.pt/en/wine-turism

I would make a change in your reservation in Lisboa, May 29 to June 3 while there you can do day trips to Sintra, Cascais and Azeitão (wine, cheese and pastries). Bus or train to Évora (June 3 to 5) explore the vineyards and food there to see a very different region from Douro. Bus to Lisboa, change to a bus to Nazaré (June 5 to 7) relax by the sea and visit the Unesco monuments in the area (Batalha, Alcobaça). Bus to Porto (June 7 to 11), you can go to the Valley by train or do a day cruise departing from Porto or stay there for a night. Return to Lisboa on June 11. By departing from Lisboa on the 12 you'll loose the most important festivity in the city, preciselly that night, the popular festivities in honor of Stº António.

…cm-evora.pt/guiaturistico/…itinerary.htm

http://www.dourovalley.eu/en/

2. Re: Itinerary Help: 2 weeks in Portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 21:11
3. Re: Itinerary Help: 2 weeks in Portugal

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2017, 06:00
Edited: 20 November 2017, 06:00
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1 post
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help: 2 weeks in Portugal

Sorry just seen this and know that you've already had your trip!

I just wanted to add that in case you travel through Portugal again, Figueira da Foz, in between Porto and Lisbon on the silver coast and near Nazare, is a really nice relaxing place to be. It's not big but has enough going on in summer (august especially) and the food (fish in particular) and wine is great and the place is really cheap and not touristy at all. There are direct coaches from Lisbon and plenty of trains also.

I am British but live in Figueira in between jobs (I used to work here!) and like to spread the word about Figueira every now and again!

All the best

5. Re: Itinerary Help: 2 weeks in Portugal

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 07:16