We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convenient way to see the whole country in a week?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
245 reviews
Save Topic
Convenient way to see the whole country in a week?

I will be in Portugal in August and am thinking I will stay 5-7 days following a few weeks in Spain. If I fly into Lisbon, is it feasible that I could make my way North to the Basque region and also South in that amount of time? I want to pack in as much as I can but also don't want to exhaust myself. What is the best way to cover a lot of area? A combination of flying and train? I've only been to Europe a few times so am not completely familiar with the best types of transportation.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,116 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Convenient way to see the whole country in a week?

You can't cover the whole country in 5-7 days. You could see Lisbon and Porto & surroundings. Have a look at: www.visitportugal.com and let us know what your interests are?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,896 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Convenient way to see the whole country in a week?

Also, if you are thinking of heading south from Lisbon in August, be aware that the whole of the south of Portugal will be full (and I mean full) of summer beach holidaymakers from northern Europe. Accommodation will be both difficult to find and expensive. Best I think to concentrate on the centre and north.

You can travel between the major Portuguese towns and cities easily enough by train or bus (see the items across the right under 'Top Questions') but getting into and out of Portugal by means other than flying or driving is a major exercise, as routes are few and schedules very sparse.

The Basque region is in Spain, not Portugal and is a tortuous 10 - 12 hour trip from Lisbon by train (1 per day) or bus, 2 per day at most.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 08:18
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,329 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Convenient way to see the whole country in a week?

With 5-7 days you can only see a few sights in Portugal, never the whole country. But if you rent a car you can do a lot of Kms going up and down the country, we have a lot of highways so you can do the "Tour of Portugal" by car...

4. Re: Convenient way to see the whole country in a week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 06:16