We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I hire a car fr. Portugal but return it in Spain?

Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Can I hire a car fr. Portugal but return it in Spain?

It will be my husband's, baby's and my first experience hiring a car in Europe. Ideally we would like to fly into Lisbon, drive up the coast to visit friends in La Coruna and then drive to madrid to fly home to Australia.

Both my husband and I have spent some time in Europe BEFORE we had the baby, therefore travelling with him is a totally new experience and we were hoping to make it as less stressful as possible. It seems its not that straight forward hiring and returning to a different country!

We will only need the car for just over 2 weeks and arrive mid September.

Please any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mel

Douro Valley Wine Tasting Tour...
783 Reviews
from US$112.60*
Sintra and Cascais Tour from Lisbon
1,044 Reviews
from US$93.90*
Special Offer
Lisbon Super Saver: 2-Day Sintra...
288 Reviews
from US$168.90*
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
22,326 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I hire a car fr. Portugal but return it in Spain?

You can, if you don't mind to pay a small fortune. Rent a car in Portugal, return it at town north of Porto (Viana do Castelo for instance), take the train to Vigo and rent a car there till the end of the journey.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
52,128 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I hire a car fr. Portugal but return it in Spain?

That's the best option by far. Trains cross the border into Spain twice a day from Porto and Viana do Castelo.

Train times : cp.pt/StaticFiles/…porto_valenca.pdf

Buy tickets on the day.

There are also buses see www.autna.com (which is only in Spanish) and www.alsa.es for times and fares. With ALSA you need to buy tickets in advance.

It won't cost much, certainly much,much, less than leaving a Portuguese car in Spain. Someone has to be paid to repatriate the vehicle and there are also breakdown recovery and insurance issues.

And don't forget that Spanish time is one hour ahead of Portugal time!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I hire a car fr. Portugal but return it in Spain?

Any large multinational car rental agent will let you do this, but at a cost. If you pick a Portuguese based car rental agency, with no offices in any other EU country, then they won't rent you a car.

Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I hire a car fr. Portugal but return it in Spain?

Thanks everyone. We haven't actually booked our flights from Amsterdam yet, so was thinking maybe we should fly into Madrid?

That way we could drive a round trip to Lisbon up the coast to la coruna & then back to Madrid to return the car? Are we allowed to drive into Portugal? If not the train is definitely an option, we just heard there's some great historical cities & castles between Madrid & Lisbon ;-)

Our return flights to Australia are from Madrid. We only have 2 weeks though is that too much driving? Being from Australia the distances didn't seem that large ;-)

Thanks for your valued advice

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve
Level Contributor
14,188 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I hire a car fr. Portugal but return it in Spain?

Yes, you could fly into Madrid, rent there and return to Madrid. Make sure your rental company knows you want to drive the car into Portugal (you probably pay a little extra for insurance). Not all companies may let you do this but the larger ones do.

Compared with Australia the distances indeed are not that large and you can create an itinerary which will give you enough time to relax as well.

www.visitportugal.com (it has some good itineraries)

6. Re: Can I hire a car fr. Portugal but return it in Spain?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 00:17