We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portugal or Hungary?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Portugal or Hungary?

My 23 year old daughter and I only have 10 days. Were thinking of either traveling to Lisbon with a road trip to Porto or perhaps Spain, or to Budapest with a road trip or train to Prague for a couple of days. Have never been to either country, but have traveled to many other countries in Europe, Asia, and Latin America. We like to do our own thing -- no packaged tours. Both Hungary and Portugal have so much charm, and are known for their food and bars. Both countries seem like they would have similar costs. Any advice?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,053 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portugal or Hungary?

Please tell us when you plan to come. Portugal and Hungary have very different climates and there may be literally millions of people there before you, depending on the time of year.

Example - my home town seaside resort of Albufeira Portugal resident pop.25,000 is rapidly on the way to its summer city status of 100,000. There's no point in suggesting you come here in summer if not already fitted with accommodation!

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,165 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Portugal or Hungary?

Toss a coin and come back for the other one next year? :) Really, both countries are worth a visit.

www.visitportugal.com

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portugal or Hungary?

Hi There, Our trip would be in 2 weeks -- last week of July, first week of August.

Cambridge, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Portugal or Hungary?

Regarding the weather, don't be fooled, Hungary in July/August is extremely hot and humid, 35-40 degrees. As the country is landlocked, there is no sea breeze or any breeze at all in the summer, the heat can be very unpleasant and you will need to go to one of the many swimming pool complexes (lidos) to cool down.

Hungary would offer a lot of sight seeing, amazing architecture and lovely food. Portugal would offer all those too plus the beach. That would be a major difference between the two holidays. Hungary would be more of a city break type of holiday.

I would go to Portugal because I think it has more to offer in the summer. Budapest is perfect for a long weekend, with very warm and pleasant weather May/June or Sept.

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portugal or Hungary?

I have been to both countries during the July/August time frame. Yes, it can be VERY hot in Hungary. Both countries have huge pluses to visit. I would give the edge to Portugal. WHY? If it gets too hot, you can retreat to a seaside area that has a cool breeze. Another edge is if you love eating seafood like I do. Don't take me wrong, we had some exceptional food in Hungary both in Budapest and the countryside. I found driving pretty much equal in Hungary and Portugal. For the places we went, there were fewer toll roads in Hungary.

I am sure that you could/would enjoy either. Yours, Claudia

6. Re: Portugal or Hungary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 05:16