We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one week winter itinerary

Boston
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
one week winter itinerary

Hello - My family of six (which includes 4 young adults) is planning a one week trip for the week after Christmas. This is our first trip to Portugal, and we know we won't be able to see everything. I would appreciate any suggestions as to what area(s) we should concentrate on for this first trip during this time of year We most likely will be flying in and out of Lisbon, and will rent a car. Should we stick to Lisbon and north - Sintra/Obidas/Alcobaco/Coimbra and maybe Porto, or should we travel south to the Algarve after Lisbon/Sintra. We are interested in sights, architecture, food, history, art. I have been reading these forums and people are so knowledgeable - would appreciate any and all advice! Thank you.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one week winter itinerary

Hi!

I really recomend to go up north, where you can find more things to see in a shorter distance.

Regarding the places Sintra, Obidos, Alcobaça, Coimbra, you can add Batalha, Tomar and Conimbriga all nearby Alcobaça and Coimbra.

Tomar is world heritage and is one of the templar's castles. Check out www.manorhouses.com/unesco/whtomar.html.

Also going south, from Lisbon, there is Evora with a lot of Roman monuments.

Hope this helps!

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
473 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one week winter itinerary

After Lisbon/Sintra head north.

Visit: Tomar, Obidos, Alcobaça, Batalha, Coimbra, Aveiro, Porto, Guimaraes, Braga, Ponde de Lima, Viana do Castelo, only to mention the main cities/places of interest. You'll find several wonderfull little villages/places near these.

You can also add the Douro Valey to your itinerary. Amarante, Regua and Pinhao.

Use www.viamichelin.com to plan your itinerary.

Sérgio

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
473 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one week winter itinerary

Sorry, the correct name is "Ponte de Lima". Arcos de Valdevez is near and also beautifull.

Boston
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one week winter itinerary

Thank you! I am concerned that the weather will be bad heading north (even though we're from Boston and are used to bad weather). We would be renting a car, Should we expect lots of rain? Cold? I appreciate any information you could give us. Thank you again.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
473 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one week winter itinerary

Yes... you should expect some rain... about the temperatures, they can range from 5 to 15 ºC during the day and colder at night... In the mountains you can have some snow and negative temperatures.

Don't expect freezing temperatures during the day in the places I suggest you, though.... Compared to the weather in Boston you'll feel like you're in the Maldives :))

6. Re: one week winter itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 08:17