We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places to stay in Alentejo & Cascais in Portugal in July

pa
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
places to stay in Alentejo & Cascais in Portugal in July

My husband and I are going to Portugal in July and would love to get some feedback on several places to stay on the west coast, around Cascais and also Alentejo.

For the coastal area we are interested in the fortaleza do guincho and the farol design hotel and the senhora da guia. We also would love to find a charming fishing village that is not touristy to spend a day or we could spend the night there. Any suggestions or opinions? We would like to find a place where we are able to walk around to places and not have to drive our car.

For Alentejo we wanted to spend two nights in two different places(a total of 4 nights), so we can relax a little. But, maybe it's better to spend one night in two hotels and for our last two nights, spend it in one place. We are looking at the Pousada de Crato, Casa de Terena, Hotel Convento de Sao Paulo, and the Convento do Espinheiro. One of my concerns is that the Pousada de Crato and the Conventro do Espinheiro may be too similar and perhaps we should just choice one of them and then either the Casa de Terena or the Hotel Convento de Sao Paulo. We are interested in visiting all the wonderful towns but also having a little r & r (rest and relaxation). I'd appreciate any feedback and suggestions on the best places to stay.

Thanks for your time.

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
42 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: places to stay in Alentejo & Cascais in Portugal in July

We returned 2 days ago from 12 nights in Portugal. We spent 3 nights in Evora, in the Alentejo area. We contemplated staying at the Convento do Espinheiro, but elected to stay in town, and were VERY glad we did. The Convento is outside of town, and though not far, looked like a hassle to go back and forth. The old town of Evora is fascinating, and parking is a logistical problem.

We stayed at Residencial Riviera, and would surely recommend it. It's not as plush as the Convento is supposed to be, but we enjoyed the 200 Euros a night we saved, and it's right there in the middle of town. We had a "suite," which is actually a lage corner room, and would request that room again. There is a lot to see in Evora, and when you're tired of walking, you can relax and hang out at the squares or little cafes, just as the Portuguese do.

Greg and Susie

Évora
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: places to stay in Alentejo & Cascais in Portugal in July

About Alentejo:

Al the suggestions you posted are good. However Terena, that is a very little village, is special and the way as the lady that is the owner of Terena's House - Casa de Terena- receaves you is spectacular.

Don't miss a nigt, at least there.

Alentejo, in July, is extraordinary hot, so you must look an hotel with pool and Residential Riviera - a good site in the center of Évora, doesn't have one.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
487 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: places to stay in Alentejo & Cascais in Portugal in July

Yes, going to Evora is a must, but it is not easy to park inside the city walls. You can, however, leave the car outside and walk a few hundred meters. Convento do Espinheiro and Crato Pousada are not much similar, but the Crato village has not many different things to see. Instead, I suggest you go to Castelo de Vide and Marvão (both also a must, and quite near from each other). You can stay for instance at the Marvão Pousada, small but very decent and with a great view from the restaurant, or at Castelo de Vide/Garcia d'Orta Hotel (http://hotelcastelodevide.com/), or at Sol e Serra Hotel (http://www.grupofbarata.com/UK/default.asp), these last two in Castelo de Vide.

At the foothill of Marvão, called Portagem, you can find a couple of restaurants where you can have authentic portuguese food from Alentejo region (the one I prefer is Mil Homens).

Another possibility is the Vila Viçosa pousada, by the "Paço Ducal", also a nice small town to visit (like Estremoz, is a marble city).

I know the area fairly well, because I have a house in Avis, and go there almost every weekend, so, anything else, just ask, maybe I can help.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
13 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: places to stay in Alentejo & Cascais in Portugal in July

My husband and I just returned from a trip to the Alentejo region and had a great time. For accomodations, I would highly recommend Casa do Terreiro do Poco in Borba and Touril do Baixa in Zambujeira do Mar. Both can be found on a webite called Wonderfulland.com. Have a great time.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,781 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: places to stay in Alentejo & Cascais in Portugal in July

www.innsofportugal.com also has some nice properties.

6. Re: places to stay in Alentejo & Cascais in Portugal in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 04:16