We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning Advice: Lisbon, Faro & In Between

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
61 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Planning Advice: Lisbon, Faro & In Between

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading books... searching the internet... and I'm still confused! I'm looking for realistic travel advice on what to see in Portugal.

So far, we will be in Lisbon from Sunday - Wed AM (March 2-5), that includes a day-trip to Sintra. We will fly out of Faro on Friday morning, so that gives us Wednesday & Thursday to travel from Lisbon to Faro, and hopefully see a few cool things in between. (I'm open to staying anywhere on Wed and Thurs night.)

If you had 2 days to spare in Portugal, where would you go? I read alot about Evora... but is this a good option? I'm open to any & all ideas! Also, is travel through the area easy?

I appreciate your time & advice!

Sara

lisboa
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning Advice: Lisbon, Faro & In Between

Hello.

The area from Lisboa to Faro is wide so I would choose the central region of Alentejo (Alentejo Central) to spend these 2 days.

Yes, I think Évora is a good option (Capela dos Ossos (Chapel of Bones) built by a few 16th-century monks who wished to contemplate and communicate the message of the transitory nature of life) is one of the highlights. I wouldn't stay in Évora a whole day. Since you only have 2 days to visit Alentejo I suggest you visit a few other towns and villages.

From Lisboa - Estremoz (beautiful historical Pousada to sleep at if you don't find it too expensive...). Also Elvas (Elvas plums (known as Ameixas d'Elvas) are one of the most ancient specialities from the Alentejo, but are more apreciated when eaten with sericaia, a typical sweet) and Vila Viçosa (Ducal Palace of Vila Viçosa to visit).

Then Évora. From Évora go to Reguengos de Monsaraz to taste wines (Esporão, for instance, is one famous winnery in Portugal but there are much more).

Dont' miss Monsaraz, a small medieval village, very well preserved. It is kind of a mystical place and one of my favourite places. (In the vicinities of Monsaraz there are also some of the oldest megalithical monuments in the world).

There are many other villages (like Borba, Portel, .....) that are worth a visit around this area. It all depends on the time you have and how you organise your days. But I advise you not to worry too much. This is a nice area. I find it hard not to enjoy my time in Alentejo, no matter where I go.

I suggest you visit the site http://www.visitportugal.com.

(direct link to Alentejo)

visitportugal.com/NR/…frameless.htm

Check also these sites:

http://www.visitalentejo.pt/vEN

portugalvirtual.pt/_tourism/…indexp.html

I hope you enjoy your time!

Lis

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
61 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning Advice: Lisbon, Faro & In Between

Lis,

Thank you so much for your detailed advice. It's so hard to determine what is the best sights to see... so your advice is perfect!

One more question though... is public transportation widely available? We don't really want to rent a car, unless necessary to see all of the sights.

Thanks again!

Sara

lisboa
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning Advice: Lisbon, Faro & In Between

Hi, Sara.

It is a pleasure to help! (Or try at least...)

I'm sorry but I'm no expert regarding public transportation on this area because I always travel by car... I'm sure there are buses but I don't know about timetables... In fact, taking in consideration you only have 2 days, I think the best way to take the most out of it would be by car, so you wouldn't waste time waiting for your transportatio but maybe someone living in this area can advise you better than I can. Why don't you put a post on the forum about this?

If I can help you in any other way, please fell free to ask.

Have fun!

Lis

Valenca, Portugal
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning Advice: Lisbon, Faro & In Between

Hi two days is not a lot... I recommend you hire a car (if you are on a low budget) or get an exclusive tour booked with a private guide (expensive but worth every penny).

===================================================

The Itinerary (by Car):

1) Lisbon to Evora - 1:20 hr/min - 80.8 miles

Evora is the "Capital" of the Alentejo and a world heritage site. I recommend half a day here.

2) Evora to Monsaraz - 0:56 min - 34.2 miles

Stay at the Monsaraz Inn, visit the Esporao winery, visit the castle, eat at an old Olive oil factory converted into a restaurant. Visit the Alqueva dam on the way to Clube de Campo.

3) Monsaraz - Clube do Campo - 2:03 hr/min 78.2 miles

Indulge yourself with a SPA treatment, horse riding, wine tasting, btt, motorbike driving.... Stay here

4) Clube de Campo - Faro - 1.41 hr/min - 82.1 miles

If hiring a car take the motorways whenever possible.

5. Re: Planning Advice: Lisbon, Faro & In Between

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 17:16