We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base for 3 days in Alentejo

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Base for 3 days in Alentejo

We are a couple and a toddler, and would like to stay somewhere in Alentejo region for 3 nights in mid-July before we head to Lagos in the Algarve. We are mainly looking for access to calm beaches good for swimming and our toddler (I know most beaches are rough) and would like to experience local cuisine and culture. I am looking at Vila Nova de Milfontes, Zambujeira do Mar and Odeceixe as options - which of these areas might be best?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,291 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base for 3 days in Alentejo

Will you have a car? Without one, your options are very limited. Friends of mine really liked Vila Nova das Milfontes as an all round nice place to visit.

Odeceixe is a few miles from the actual coast. It's a very pretty area but I have been there only on the way elsewhere.

The waves are always pretty big on that side of the coast.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Base for 3 days in Alentejo

Yes we will have a car. I am aware of the large waves, but would like to learn of a good beach or two that might work for us.

Lisboa - Doca de...
Level Contributor
252 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Base for 3 days in Alentejo

Vila Nova de Milfontes has a beach still inside the river ...(just be carefully with the currents)

Beach of Odeceixe also has a beach still inside the river

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,267 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Base for 3 days in Alentejo

As said above both Vila Nova de Milfontes and Odeceixe have river mouths, and they have sandy areas by the there that are secluded from the waves. It's a sand dune away from the ocean side, you can walk in between the two areas.

5. Re: Base for 3 days in Alentejo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 05:17