We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Libson to Evora

Boston, MA
6 posts
Save Topic
Libson to Evora

Hi,

Anyone know how to go to Evora from Libson? Is there a easier way to go? It seems that they all require to take a boat, taxi, taxi and taxi....

I want to make a one day trip excursion from Libson. Is it worth it? Or we should spend a night over there? We will be heading either to Sevilla or Madrid afterward, is there any easy transportation from Evora? Or we really should return back to Libson?

Thanks ahead.

Travelbaby

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
797 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Libson to Evora

There are plenty of buses from Lisbon to Evora but I don't know about from Evora to somewhere else. I drive.

Baltimore, MD
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Libson to Evora

Evora is definitely worth a night's stay - maybe even 2. It's a University town, which means it's a bit more sophisticated than some of the other towns you'll visit, plus there are many sites/museums to see. This town was definitely one of the highlights of our trip, although Lisbon, Sintra and Obodos were also great.

Australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Libson to Evora

Evora is a diverting side-trip from Lisbon. Take the bus - there are lots of them and, from memory, it was the quickest public transport option. It takes a few hours. Evora has its own bus station with links around the Alentejo and other parts of the country. We took the bus on to Portalegre after Evora.

We stayed 3 nights in Evora which, in retrospect, was too much. Pensao Policarpo (I hope that's close to accurate spelling) was very good. The town itself occupied one full day sightseeing (I was a bit disappointed, frankly). The cathedral and the university with its wonderful tiles were my highlights. We wanted to have a look in the historic pousada, which is next to the Roman temple but - as a swank hotel - it was hard to get access. There are also lovely villages close by, eg Monsaraz (I think that's OK spelling).

The meals were very generous, from memory. Lots of lamb (it was spring when we were there).

Boston, Ma
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Libson to Evora

I visited Evora last summer during the Euro2004. I have spent quite a bit of time in Portugal too. Evora is about a 2 hr bus trip from Lisbon. It's a college town so there are buses daily with extra ones on the weekend (students going to and fro). You can actually get the schedule online although the website seems to be in flux and the english translation is missing - http://www.rede-expressos.pt/default.asp .You can easily see the city in a day if you start early and plan ahead. There are some nice day trips from Evora to Monsaraz (medieval town and some nearby vineyards- 75 mins) or Beja (Roman capital back in the day and regional capital now - 40 mins). We stayed at the Hotel Da Cartuxa which is just inside the old castle walls and 5 mins from the center. There is also a pousada right near the Temple of Diana that is very nice but a bit more costly. Pousadas are a state sponsored program that converts old monasteries etc to hotels. There is one in Obidos (medieval town similar to Monsaraz) and one in Beja. Pousadas are on the high end but always top notch.I believe the road to Sevilla may go through Evora/Beja so you may want to investigate. Some of the best wine is in the Alentejo and some really nice pottery can be had cheap too so make sure you drink up!

Gloucestershire, UK
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Libson to Evora

The coach for Evora departs from Arco Cego, the old tram station fairly near the centre of Lisbon. More than 10 coaches a day and the journey takes 1 hr 45 mins. Quite cheap. Better to return to Lisbon and take either the coach to Seville or Madrid which takes about 6 hours or go by air. Witht the exception of two services a day the train is really not an option although it will take you through some stunning countryside.

Have a good trip.

Martin

6. Re: Libson to Evora

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 01:16
Get answers to your questions about Evora
Recent Conversations