We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highways IP2 and 6

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Highways IP2 and 6

Are these two highways still toll free? From Evora, north to the bridge crossing the Tejo and then onto the IP, what village would I reach if I drove for 3 hours from Evora?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
20,276 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highways IP2 and 6

A6 is a "regular" highway with manual and electronic tolls, that connects Elvas to Lisboa (passing by Évora).

IP2 it's not an highway goes through the interior of Portugal, linking the north (Bragança) to the south (Faro), it goes by Évora coming from Estremoz and going to Beja.

IP6 goes from Peniche to Castelo Branco and it's more complicate, it has sections that are not highway and are not paid and others are already highway and are paid.

Exactly where do you want to go? To go from Évora to Lisboa and then continue north?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highways IP2 and 6

I want to go from Evora to Covilha area for the first night of my stay.. I want to know if the part of IP2 that was a dual carriage way is still free and not been converted into a toll road. Also, is it realistic to be able to drive from Evora to Covilha in about three hours? If not about how far would I get from Evora?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,276 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highways IP2 and 6

From Évora by N18/IP2 to Gardete (after crossing the river Tejo at Fratel dam) it's free (not an highway), then you enter A23 that it's an highway and it's paid (electronic tolls only) and exit at Covilhã, it takes about 3h.

If you want to avoid tolls you'll have to use the N (national roads) then it's Évora by N18/IP2 until Alpalhão then N18 direction Vila Velha de Rodão, N18 direction Sarnadas/Castelo Branco, then N3 direction Castelo Branco, then direction Alcains/Soalheira/Castelo Novo/Alpedrinha//Fundão/Covilhã, it takes about 4h30.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highways IP2 and 6

As it is a rental car, I need to avoid toll roads, as has been posted here on the Portugal forums. If I use this information:

<Évora by N18/IP2 until Alpalhão then N18 direction Vila Velha de Rodão, N18 direction Sarnadas/Castelo Branco, then N3 direction Castelo Branco, then direction Alcains/Soalheira/Castelo Novo/Alpedrinha//Fundão/Covilhã.>

4h30 is too long a journey. So could you please advise a good spot to stay in after a journey of 3h-3h30.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,276 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highways IP2 and 6

I suppose that you could do some stops for some sightseeing at Estremoz, a detour to Castelo de Vide and Marvão when passing by Portalegre, then a stop for the night at Castelo Branco.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
935 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Highways IP2 and 6

Castelo de Vide and Marvão are well worth the detours. Fill up you water bottles from superb spring water fountain just outside Castelo de Vide coming from the west.

7. Re: Highways IP2 and 6

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 19:50
Get answers to your questions about Evora
Recent Conversations