We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air fare from Toronto to Lisbon or Faro??

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Topic
Air fare from Toronto to Lisbon or Faro??

We are planning to return to the Algarve in March of 2008. Instead of using an all inclusive package we are looking at booking flights, accomodation and car rental on our own.The accomodation and car rental have been decided on and that leaves the flights. Trying to find return flights on the internet seems to be next to impossible or very very expensive. We would like to fly from Toronto or Montreal and land in either Lisbon or Faro. Most flight searching sites say that there are no flights available for the dates requested. I just can''t believe it. Maybe large blocks of seats are bought up by travel agencies ect.

Has anyone else out there tried to find flights for this time of the year from Canada and what have you come up with.

Portugal
Level Contributor
97 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air fare from Toronto to Lisbon or Faro??

Could you be more specific about the exact dates of the trip?? I work in a travel agency and I can try to find you in the travel agents booking system.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,224 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air fare from Toronto to Lisbon or Faro??

There are no direct flights listed in my Lisbon or Faro timetables for the winter; all routings involve a connecting flight through Amsterdam, Paris or Frankfurt or suchlike.

Portugal
Level Contributor
97 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air fare from Toronto to Lisbon or Faro??

I was looking in my booking system and without knowing what specific dates you want in March, I can tell you that you have flights from Toronto to Lisbon with the Continental Airlines (for example), with 1 hour stop in NYC. That will cost you (more or less) 850 eur (with taxes included), but this is a price for those who want to buy here in Portugal, I don't know the prices there.

There is also a direct flight from Toronto to Lisbon with Sata International but it has no availability for the moment.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Air fare from Toronto to Lisbon or Faro??

Hello Ricky,

Our travel times are quite flexable at this time. We want to go for 6 weeks. Pretty well anytime in early to mid March to April sometime. Are we looking too early for these flights? Maybe we should go ahead and book the accomodation and then worry about the flights as they come available. Right now we can get a reasonable flight to London Gatwick and then get a flight to Faro from there. We would have to stay over in London which is not a problem. The only problem is the flights we can find to Faro or Lisboa leave very early the next day. I don't think this would be possible for us. However I am not sure how much time we would need before catching the flight to check in ect.

The price of $850 euros which converts to $1,153 Canadian dollars seems very high to me. What do you think? Since we are not seasoned travellers I am not sure what is good deal and what isn't.

Portugal
Level Contributor
97 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air fare from Toronto to Lisbon or Faro??

Hi BretonB,

Well, if you can explain me if you need a "round trip" fare, or just the "one way" fare from Portugal to Toronto.

With your recent in formations I've looked into my system and you have a flight with KLM and TAP much more cheaper than that of the Continental. For example:

01/03/08

Toronto (18h15) - Amesterdam (07h30 next day) - KLM

Amesterdam (12h20) - Lisbon (14h20) - KLM

Lisbon (15h20) - Faro (16h05) - TAP

19/04/08

Faro (06h05) - Lisboa (06h50)**** - TAP

Lisbon (07h05) - Amesterdam (10h55) - KLM

Amesterdam (18h20) - Toronto (20h25) - KLM

These flights with a "round trip" fare would cost here in Portugal 716,62 eur.

*** Be careful that the flight between Faro and Lisbon (19/04) you would have very short time to make the check-in at Lisbon airport, so probably it should be better you to go the previous day and sleep in Lisbon. The price will be the same ;)

I think that if this fare is bought there in Canada the price will be less than here in Portugal because the "flight fares" usually should be bought were the trip begins.

I hope this information could be usefull, any more question just say

Portugal
Level Contributor
97 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air fare from Toronto to Lisbon or Faro??

Another tip, if you just buy the "round trip fare" Toronto - Lisbon - Toronto qith the same flights you sould pay no more than 585 eur

That's all... uff :D

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Air fare from Toronto to Lisbon or Faro??

My advice would be to go to www.airtransat.ca and muddle around in their web pages. You will see all the direct flights from Canada to Portugal there. However, if you try to book them on line from their website, Portugal does not show up as an option. You are most likely correct in your assumption that large blocks of the seats have been snapped up by travel companies, such as JM. Once you have chosen the flights, call any travel agent and have them book them. You may find that you will have to book some accomodation as well to get the very cheapest rate. However, if you are going for a longer time, this will not be a problem. Be aware that rental cars are at 'two levels' Those that are 'Portugal only" and those that are able to be driven into Spain. If you plan to go to Spain, then you need to tell the car rental company that is the case. You will also need an international drivers licence to drive in Spain. Be wary of advice from posters from EU countries as regards prices they quote for car rental as we Canadians have to buy car insurance valid in the EU, which obviously EU residents don't have to as they already have it.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Air fare from Toronto to Lisbon or Faro??

Sorry, it's www.airtransat.com I am also now searching through www.sata.com as well to see what is there

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Air fare from Toronto to Lisbon or Faro??

oops www.sata.com isn't right unless you want spray guns

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Air fare from Toronto to Lisbon or Faro??

www.sata.pt The site is intially in Portuguese, but there is an 'english' tab and it translates into English. I found by putting in rough dates it will find the closest dates that there are flights automatically. The further distance betwen dates gives you more flights. Some flights are direct, but some make a stop in the Azores first. I have found many flights which indicate there are seats available both in business class and economy.