We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather April

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
393 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
weather April

Anyone know how the weather is

in April? is it warm enough

to go swimming?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather April

I would definitely NOT rely on it beng warm enough for swimming. It may be, but don't bank on it. We have been in May and found it cool and sometimes cloudy and even wet.

When you say swimming, do you mean in the sea? The sea is never particularly warm in the Algarve, even in summer. Also, many pools are unheated, and can be cold.

Or maybe I'm just a bit od a wuss.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
393 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather April

Thank you for your reply. Is it warm enough for swimming in the Canary Islands or Costa del Sol in APril? Do you know?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
91 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather April

Just to confirm what fletch said.

I have been to the Algarve the last 2 years, usually mid April. Both times the weather has mostly been really good. 2 years ago there were a couple of days in the 80's but the week before we arrived it had been pouring with rain all week and on the night we arrived there was a thunder and lightening storm, but this must have cleared the air for the rest of the week. Last year, the weather was good, around 70's, but the forecast all week was for cloud and rain. It eventually arrived on the day we were leaving. So I have been lucky.

2 years ago, because it felt so hot, I decided to have a dip in the sea. It was freezing but I did get used to it. Our hotel had a small heated pool which I used thereafter. I did not have a swim in the sea this year but the pool in the hotel was not heated and it was as cold as the sea was the previous year.

So I am back again this year in April and as usual will be going with my fingers crossed.

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
44 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather April

We have been going to the Algarve for around 13yrs now, always the last Saturday in April for 2 weeks and 2 weeks mid September to 1st week in October.

You can get odd cloudy days Apr/May and occasionaly some rain. The pool or the sea always feel cold ish when you first get in because your body temp is warmer, get straight in and under and it feels ok within about 30 seconds :) The pool temp in Apr is normally between 20-24c and the sea 18c ish. Go in the pool or sea at night and it feels like bath water, your body temp is obviousy lower then. You have to remember this is not the Med :)

5. Re: weather April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 21:16