We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place in the Algarve

BC
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Best Place in the Algarve

Where is the best place to stay in the Algarve during August? Some travelers mentioned "Lagos itself is not such an attractive prospect"....where is the best place for a family with two teenagers!????

Thank-You!!

Mentioned in this post
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
54,960 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place in the Algarve

The whole of the Algarve is packed with holidaymakers in August, so book early.

If you want good sandy beaches and a lot of nightlife within a reasonable walking distance, you should be looking at Albufeira, Praia da Rocha, Alvor, Torralta to name but a few. Cultured it ain't, but for the two weeks of sun and sand it suits many people.

Lagos is an old city gradually being overwhelmed by modern development. Pause for dissenting view.

As I see it, the issue with Lagos is that most of the beach resort areas are away from the main part of town. That means you might be depending more on taxis than if you stayed in a resort where the beaches are close by ie in town itself.

Lagos does have one very large and very nice beach called Meia Praia but it is on the other side of the river and maybe a mile from town. There's also a lot of building going on there at the moment.

As I live in Albufeira, I will now be totally biased and recommend my town. The teenagers will have plenty to do during the day and at night and so will the poor old parents. Check the locations of holiday apartments etc, as some agencies do take liberties when describing a place as 'in Albufeira' when it is fact four miles out of town. Google away and you should have little difficulty finding places within 10 minutes walk of the sandy beaches and abundant bars, restaurants etc.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned in this post
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Albufeira
Albufeira
Faro District, Portugal
Praia Da Rocha
Praia Da Rocha
4,271 Reviews
Praia da Rocha, Portugal
Alvor
Alvor
Portimao, Portugal
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
Meia Praia
Meia Praia
1,767 Reviews
Lagos, Portugal
London
Level Contributor
328 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place in the Algarve

Plenty for you and your teens to see do at gorgeous Praia da Rocha!

A very popular choice with Portuguese and international tourists.

family.webshots.com/album/69875624jNefMd

It has a beautiful marina with bars, a large variety of restaurants and cafes overlooking the Arade river and the sea! There are fun water sport activities for kids and teens and adults!

You are near Portimão which is also lively and attractive (specially by the Riverside!).

In August you can enjoy the Sardine Festival!

The night atmosphere is great with quiet as well as vibrant places.

From Praia da Rocha you can do day coach trips/tours to scenic Monchique, historical Silves, popular Lagos and extreme Sagres.

Boat trips from the riverside of Portimão are great fun. They can go up to Silves, towards Carvoeiro or towards Alvor/Lagos.

You’ll probably also visit one of water parks (http://www.slidesplash.com/index.php?lang=en ) and Zoomarine. http://www.zoomarine.com/ and have lots of fun with lots of other activities including cultural ones- part of Allgarve 2009.

It’ll be very sunny & hot so take lots of sun cream!

You’ll have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Praia Da Rocha
Praia Da Rocha
4,271 Reviews
Praia da Rocha, Portugal
Praia Gale
Praia Gale
1,000 Reviews
Gale, Portugal
Monchique
Monchique
Faro District, Portugal
Silves
Silves
Faro District, Portugal
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
Carvoeiro
Carvoeiro
Faro District, Portugal
Alvor
Alvor
Portimao, Portugal
Zoomarine Algarve
Zoomarine Algarve
7,031 Reviews
Guia, Portugal
Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place in the Algarve

I agree with Cubsur - Albufeira every time!

We love the area of Santa Eulalia / Praia Da Oura in Albufeira.

There's lot's of good places to eat and drink in the immediate vicinity but it's not hectic, and it's very popular with families (English and Portuguese in particular.)

You are minutes from the beach, 10 minutes walk from the lively Strip and 5 mins in a cab or on a bus from the Old Town. Ideal we think.

Mentioned in this post
Albufeira
Albufeira
Faro District, Portugal
Hotel Santa Eulalia
Hotel Santa Eulalia
106 Reviews
Albufeira, Portugal
Praia da Oura
Praia da Oura
927 Reviews
Albufeira, Portugal
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Place in the Algarve

hey i am also trying to figure out where to stay going with a few guy all in mid twenties in august. I read up about lagos and seems excellent but realized its best to do a day trip their. So now its between praia da rocha or albufiera? can anyone recommend which would be better for 4 guys in their 20's looking for gorgoues beach and nightlife, but not a spring break nightlife, more nicier party than thrashy.

thanks

Worcester
Level Contributor
313 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Place in the Algarve

I would recommend anywhere over Praia da Rocha as it was the worst place I have ever been.

Lots of concrete and Irish bars, shame as the beach was nice.

Mentioned in this post
Praia Da Rocha
Praia Da Rocha
4,271 Reviews
Praia da Rocha, Portugal
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Place in the Algarve

thanks... i think ill take your advice bc thats not what im intersted in.

good things

7. Re: Best Place in the Algarve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 06:36