We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help to decide on resort, please?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
531 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
Need help to decide on resort, please?

Have booked flights for end of May to Faro. Have stayed in Alvor a couple of times some years ago but would really like a change.

We are couple of very fit "oldies" and would like a reasonably priced 4 star hotel with B & B. We like to be close to the action but not in the middle of it. We also like to be able to walk to restaurants, etc without having to get a taxi. Have been looking at

the Brisa Sol Aparthotel in Albufeira but not sure if the resort is for us. Also looking at accommodation in Vilamoura but it seems rather expensive. I really like the idea of the Marina there.

I would very much appreciate your help with this and know that this question has been asked loads of time before! I know we have to make up our own minds in the end too....

Mollie

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
797 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help to decide on resort, please?

I don't know the apartments you mentioned in Albufeira. I know the marina in Vilamoura is right in the middle of the action so if it's not what you want, it's not what you want ;)

Maybe you can pick some more choices in the price ranges you are considering and we can give some extra information. If you go to booking or yeego they have a lot of promotions...

Did you ever try a pousada in Portugal? These are also wonderfull. There are now 4 in the Algarve (Tavira, Estói, São Brás de Alportel and Sagres which is probably the one closer to the beach). you can check the prices through their site or any of the other 2 sites I mentioned before.

Edited: 07 March 2010, 21:15
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Olhos de Agua
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help to decide on resort, please?

Hi,

Vilamoura is a great choice. It´s true that Vilamoura is a litle bit more expensive than Albufeira but has great enviremont, excellent and long beach with many sunbeds, parasol and bars, great restaurants and nice shops in Marina. There are a few 4 stars hotels not very expensive near beach and marina ( the others are 5 stars and a litle bit expensive). I advise you this hotels:

VILAGALE MARINA

VILAGALE AMPALLIUS

DOM PEDRO MARINA

DON PEDRO GOLF

DON PEDRO PORTOBELO ( apartments)

OLYMPUS APARTHOTEL

If you prefer apartments, let me know. I can send you a few near beach and marina.

Leonor

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
531 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help to decide on resort, please?

Thank you both Cinanina and Leonor for your quick replies.

Leonor thanks a million for very comprehensive list of hotels in Vilamoura. I'm working my way through the list and all seem pretty good.

I would be very happy if you could now give me a list of good apartments in Vilamoura also. I think I will happily spend my holiday there! I really love the Marina.

Thanks again,

Mollie

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help to decide on resort, please?

Have a search for 'aquamar apartments', just round the corner from the main part of the marina and excellent quality.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help to decide on resort, please?

As regulars to Alvor, I presume you're familiar with Lagos, and its Marina?

Lots of apartments there, plus the Marina Club apartotel. No idea how it compares to Vilamoura etc. pricewise, but it's not cheap.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
531 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help to decide on resort, please?

Thanks Liverpoolman and fletch535. I've sent off an enquiry regarding the Aquamar apartments and at this point it looks like I will be staying in Vilamoura. So will be working on accommodation there.

Mollie

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Olhos de Agua
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help to decide on resort, please?

Hi again,

Liverpoolman is right, AQUAMAR apartments are the best on marina and very easy walking to beach. All of then belong to private owners and you will find a few in this security sites:

www.holidaylettings.co.uk

www.ownersdirect.co.uk

Aquamar apartments are a litle bit more expensive than others apartments on marina area but are much better. However, I send a portuguese and very famous agency in Algarve with many apartments in marina area and easy walking to beach but not so good like aquamar:

www.garvetur.pt

If you choose a few of then let me know because I cam tell you about quallity and locacion. If you need the Hotel sites I camn send you too.

Leonor

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
531 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help to decide on resort, please?

Just to say thanks to everyone for your very helpful replies. I've pretty much settled on Vilamoura and will choose one of the hotels that Leonor has recommended as they are all looking good on TA, some more than others.

If I need more help I'll be back on. Roll on May ..........

Mollie

9. Re: Need help to decide on resort, please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2010, 05:26