We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

When the A22 becomes a toll road from April ,what will cost be say from Faro to Albufeira turn off ,has it been set yet, I know that local residents are getting first 10 months free, but I would imagine after the 10 month amnesty the 125 will be even busier

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
57,344 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

General opinion I have seen and heard says the toll will be 8 cents per km for cars, Faro to Albufeira via A22 includes 25km of that road so by my maths that is 2 Euros.

Residents may wish the ten months free (most don't want tolls at all) but whether that happens remains to be seen!

The authorities have a cunning plan to keep people off the N125 by announcing a reconstruction programme for that road costing hundreds of millions spread over about 3 years.

Tolls begin on 15th April.

Edited: 15 February 2011, 11:16
merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

I had heard horror stories of a lot more than 2 euros for the 25k so on the face of it for somebody who will only use it say 10 times a year each way so yearly bill of 40 euros ,you would probably save that on fuel if you are going to be stuck in traffic on 125, but obviously for residents its another ball game altogether, I wonder what airport transfer firms will do re prices and taxis I presume they will all have to hike prices to take account of tolls, with the more unscrupulous ones adding the toll plus

Edited: 15 February 2011, 11:45
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,344 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

Well they will for sure add the tolls to the transfer cost but if you are in with say 3 others that works out at 50 cents each one way.

But, I don't know what the toll will be for minibuses, coaches etc.

The tolls for other roads in the SCUT regime vary a great deal but do include discounts for 'season ticket holders' etc.

This page sets out the different classes of vehicle

www.brisa.pt/PresentationLayer/conteudo.aspx…

That website has a page where you can calculate the tolls on the existing network and it tells me that to take a minibus on the A2 to Lisbon it costs just over 32 Euros, a car just over 18. For the car that is a tad over 8 cents per km, for the minibus not far off 14.5.

If those tariffs apply to the A22, then the minibus toll will be almost 4 Euros each way. Eight people on board, still only 50 cents each.

I reckon if anyone comes up front and says we have to add €4- 8 to the cost of a return transfer Faro - Albufeira then fair enough if it's a small vehicle. Someone is bound to take advantage though and it could be a while before experience brings to light those companies 'overcharging'. They will no doubt be mentioned here and start to lose business.

Some bright person by the way has worked out that 8 cents per km is the same as the cost of a train ticket town here at the moment, minimum €1,10. Meaning that if the train times and other factors suit, you can do a trip eg Faro - Lagos for the same price as the motorway toll and save your petrol

Scotland
Level Contributor
23 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

I've read the recent information in the Algarve Resident on the different types of electronic devices, and silly question, why can't rental cars have an adapted Temporary Devices that allows for short term rental, or am I missing the obvious (very possible).

When I'm on holiday I don't mind paying the toll but I don't know how to do it! Any views?

London
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

The car hire company I will be using in May 2011 from Faro Airport does not seem to think the A22 motorway toll will happen. What is the current position and how much will it cost.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,344 posts
41 reviews
6. Re: A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

There's much discussion in this topic

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189111-i330-k4316…

One of the local anti-toll groups is planning a 'drive slow' along the A22 tomorrow (Saturday 19th) as last ditch opposition grows.

wokingham
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
7. Re: A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

Does anyone know yet how the hire companies will be handling the introduction of these tolls? Are tourists expected to queue at post offices or motorway services to pay them? Afterall, nobody wants to leave an open credit card when they leave and this appears to be a great new way for the hire companies to fleece us some more.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,344 posts
41 reviews
8. Re: A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

Check the discussion in the other topic mentioned above. The short answer is no and your assumption about tourists being fleeced over tolls is probably correct..

Bishopton, United...
1 post
1 review
9. Re: A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

Just back from algarve (29th Sept 2011). Tolls are not operative yet. Gantries are up with camera's as are class of vehicle charges signs but all covered up and not operative yet. Charges are not even on the signs yet (some of the sackcloth coverings had blown off!!!)

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,344 posts
41 reviews
10. Re: A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

And as the several other threads on this topic state, there is no date yet known for their introduction. Meanwhile be aware that protest go slows are being held on the A22 and N125 on Wednesday 5th October.

Although this is a public holiday, there is bound to be disruption to normal traffic. Take note if you are due to travel to or from the airport on that day.

More details

algarveresident.com/0-43722/algarve/new-toll…

Edited: 30 September 2011, 10:19