We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

When the A22 becomes a toll road from April ,what will cost be say from Faro to Albufeira turn off ,has it been set yet, I know that local residents are getting first 10 months free, but I would imagine after the 10 month amnesty the 125 will be even busier

Competa, Spain
3 posts
Save Reply
51. Re: A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

Cubsur

The map was most useful thanks. We first travelled the N125 in 1969 before motorways and the International Bridge were thought of. From what is being discussed on this forum, we will be renewing our familiarity with the Old Coastal Road, warts and all! I suspect that from the ensuing chaos at Service Stations, Post Offices, etc, Traffic will be heavy on the N125 as pepole will be treating the A22 as a "No Go Area"

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
52. Re: A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

You'll find that the old road has changed quite a bit since 1969! I know, as I first travelled on it at about the same time as yourself. I should add that I wasn't old enough to drive at the time!

Competa, Spain
3 posts
Save Reply
53. Re: A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

I am looking forward to driving on the old road again, albeit for a short distance, thank goodness. Unlike you, unfortunately I was of that age.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
54. Re: A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

Fair to say that the N125 is best avoided. There's nowt nostalgic about it and it can be mayhem.

Edited: 13 December 2011, 20:43
Chelmsford, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
55. Re: A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

We went to the Algarve the week before Christmas. We were told by Sixt (the car hire company we used) that the toll could be paid at a post office 48 hours after we arrived then an electronic tag could be bought for 25 euros and refunds at the Faro airport post office made on any tolls we had not used bought for the way back.

We were also told another option was to let the Sixt sort it out for us at a cost of 20 euros.

When we paid for our tolls at the Luz post office, for the way out there we were told that the electronic tags were not available yet! So how exactly are we supposed to pay for the toll on the way back without incurring a huge fee?

No one seems to know what is going on- fairly typical of the Algarve in my experience... Surely the best option is either for the car hire companies to have a tag attached to their cars or for tourists to have an online payment option like they do for the conjestion charge in London that can be paid when home from holiday.

The N125 is a nightmare for anyone having to travel any distance down the Algarve- our place is in Luz which can take nearly 4 hours on the N125 at the height of the seaon which would almost double our total journey time from the UK.

I don't mind paying the toll- I would just like to know how?????

Chelmsford, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
56. Re: A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

We went to the Algarve the week before Christmas. We were told by Sixt (the car hire company we used) that the toll could be paid at a post office 48 hours after we arrived then an electronic tag could be bought for 25 euros and refunds at the Faro airport post office made on any tolls we had not used bought for the way back.

We were also told another option was to let the Sixt sort it out for us at a cost of 20 euros.

When we paid for our tolls at the Luz post office, for the way out there we were told that the electronic tags were not available yet! So how exactly are we supposed to pay for the toll on the way back without incurring a huge fee?

No one seems to know what is going on- fairly typical of the Algarve in my experience... Surely the best option is either for the car hire companies to have a tag attached to their cars or for tourists to have an online payment option like they do for the conjestion charge in London that can be paid when home from holiday.

The N125 is a nightmare for anyone having to travel any distance down the Algarve- our place is in Luz which can take nearly 4 hours on the N125 at the height of the seaon which would almost double our total journey time from the UK.

I don't mind paying the toll- I would just like to know how?????

Barry, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

Hi,

We have a Portugese registered vehicle in our place in Vila Senhora Da Rocha. If I buy an electronic tag from the post office, how do you associate it to be paid with a credit card? If I set up a Portugese back account to pay by DD, do you know if it can be administered on-line and in English please?

Thanks

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,591 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

I have not found this information in English anywhere. The relevant sections of the various websites are only in Portuguese. The only information I have found in English is that pertaining to Foreign vehicles.

I ran the relevant section through a translator tool

- The system is based on a central database Via Verde Portugal, which communicates with all the infrastructure and the SIBS - Sociedade Interbank Services, SA

- Data from the Client, once inserted in the database are sent to SIBS.

After receiving the identifier, the client should proceed with the validation that is, to associate it to a bank account via a debit card.

- Once validated the client should put the tag in the vehicle;

- SIBS Via Verde Portugal informs that the tag is already associated with a bank account.

You have to register etc at the site www.viaverde.pt which is only in Portugese.

if anyone knows differently, please do tell. A 'Top Questions' entry on this new system would be I am sure more than welcome, but as I don't drive I have no knowledge of the system at first hand.

Leeds
Level Contributor
14 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

Just found this today. Anyone know anything about it?

"All Algarve Car Rental Companies will be obligated to pay a 6 months permission to allow their cars to use freely the toll roads. For the car hire companies in Portugal, this will be mandatory. A special rule has been published on December 12th 2011, allowing Portuguese car rental companies to charge locally a tolls tax. This tax is predicted to be between 1.00 EUR and 3.00 EUR. "

Ascot, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: A22 motorway through Algarve to become toll road

Frankly, the whole system is chaos. Whilst tolls are not welcome, they seem to be inevitable. However, in an area that is almost totally reliant on tourism, it is inconceivable that a system has been introduced that makes it so difficult for the very tourists the economy relies on to actually pay the tolls. The 48hour plus delay in incurring and being able to pay fees is ridiculous. Effectively no-one on holiday will be able to settle fees before they leave. The consequence of that is, for car hirers, having to leave an open credit card with the hire company!

It really is no wonder the country is in such a mess when they treat their citizens and visitors with such disregard.