We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it safe in Algarve this summer 2011?

Glasgow, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
is it safe in Algarve this summer 2011?

is it safe in Algarve this summer? Does anyone had bad experience during stay in Algarve especially in Albufeira? I ve spoken to a guy who lives near Albufeira and he warned me about incredible high criminality, gangs of young guys who robbing tourists and treating them with knife! One tourist night time was striped to undies and left on the street just for a nice mobile phone and credit cards! this is craziness! Police is hopeless accordingly to what local ppl says

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,686 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it safe in Algarve this summer 2011?

Cancel your holiday if you are worried.

There are several previous discussions about this and I am not going to go over all the old ground yet again.

Glasgow, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: is it safe in Algarve this summer 2011?

can you send me link to previous discussions? I would be very appreciate

thx

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it safe in Algarve this summer 2011?

It's a lot safer in the Algarve than most other places. If you're foolish, you can always find a way of getting into trouble.

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,238 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is it safe in Algarve this summer 2011?

I am sorry, I cannot comment either as anything said by the locals on this subject is seen as bias on this forum.

Edited: 17 August 2011, 21:59
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is it safe in Algarve this summer 2011?

I don't think it's seen as bias by most people. I think what happens is that some idiots accuse you of showing bias. Still annoying when it happens, though.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: is it safe in Algarve this summer 2011?

vivitronico

If crime on the Algarve was as bad as you have been led to believe it would have been flagged by the Foreign Office. Having viewed their site today I can assure you that no such warning has been issued. I trust that puts your mind at rest.

Otherwise all I can advise is that you take all normal precautions as no destination is crime free and as been said many times on the TA forum the Algarve has lower crime rates than most other european destinations.

Glasgow, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: is it safe in Algarve this summer 2011?

thanks guys for all info. Well, I had a chat with a guy from there so only wanted check if its true or not - easy as that

I am not on this and I don't know what previous posts are. That's why I came here with a very simple question. I am sorry if I made angry some of the guys (wee advise - chill out cubsur ;-)

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: is it safe in Algarve this summer 2011?

vivitronico

I'm afraid you inadvertently entered into an emotive 'argument' on the forum which shouldn't have involved yourself.

Please do not let this put you off from making further posts.

Regards

MCG

Edited: 19 August 2011, 18:29
Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: is it safe in Algarve this summer 2011?

I should add that I believe your friend has grossly exaggerated. Indeed I would go further to say that he sounds like a mischief maker.

Apologies, I should have mentioned that in my previous post.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
661 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is it safe in Algarve this summer 2011?

Do I feel safe on the Algarve on an evening yes!,do I feel safe in our local town centre on an evening No!

Question answered