We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursion Suggestions

Toronto Ontario...
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Topic
Excursion Suggestions

Just a couple of suggestions for those of you who are going for two or more weeks to the Algarve. Last year we booked two side trips.

First we went on by Jeep to the Monchique mountains. It was great, and fun getting dirty! The weather was perfect last April for this. We went to Foia, the highest mountain in the Algarve, the views are amazing when you are up there. We had lunch included too. I highly recommend this trip. It is a bit rocky as you are on trails most of the time, so hold on to your seat!

The second outing, the highlight of our trip to Portugal, actually involved going to another continent! Yep, we took a 3 day, 2 night trip to Spain (Seville), Gibraltor and Morocco (Africa)! Talk about exotic. I still get goosebumps thinking about it!

It's a little pricey but I tell you, you would not regret it! There were over 40 of us on that bus and we all became a mini-family.

I know that we were the last group at the time to go on that trip as I believe they don't do this tour in the late Spring/summer.

We went with Mega-Tur and our guide Luiz and driver Roger were the best! It takes a lot to babysit a bus load of adults in a foreign country and none of us had any unpleasant experiences, no one was lost etc. We had our dinners included and breakfasts as well and stayed at a hotel that was right smack in front of the Rock of Gibraltor. And the photos I have of the sunrise just beside it, it is something else! It's too bad that I can't add them to this forum. (hmmm a suggestion maybe?)

Truly I will never forget that trip and the pictures we have are amazing!

Also go to Loule to the market, there are some deals to be had there as well.

Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Excursion Suggestions

Sounds amazing...we leave on March 18th. Interested in the 3 day trip you did..we were thinking of only a two day trip to Gibraltor. How much did the 3 day trip cost?

Thanks

Toronto Ontario...
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Excursion Suggestions

Hi: Well according to signature Vacations website ( I think you must be from Ontario) but if you are leaving on the 18th, then you aren't going with Signature then I assume, they are offering the 2 day trip for $157.00 Canadian. Ours I beleive worked out to $275.00 or $300.00 each Canadian.

It sounds like a lot but it isn't really, as you have 2 nights at the hotel, with dinner and breakfasts. The hotel we stayed at was right across from one of the most busiest ports in europe yet it was peaceful. You will have to pay for your own lunch in Gibraltor and Seville so keep that in mind.

When you think that you are travelling over 1,000 kms through Spain and down to the straits of Gibraltor, you appreciate the driver and your guide. You will then be ferried across the strait to Africa to Tangiers Morrocco on a fast ferry.. truly fast! less than 1 hour. My husband loved that (so did I) as we've never travelled on such a boat before. And all the tanker ships we seen, we counted about 30 in l hour! It was an amazing experience for us.

I don't want to get into too much detail about Morocco as it will spoil it for you or anyone else wanting to go. But our guide was very knowledgable, and he spoke excellent english as well. And you will be in for such an amazing experience walking around the village. just bring lots of change.. euros... We went through the Kasbah (sp?) and it will come in handy.

If you can get that leg of the tour then consider yourself lucky. I wouldn't do it yourself though, its a very long drive and there are many turns through different highways to get down to Algecerias.

Good luck. We hope to be booked soon as we are chancing on a last minute holiday there.

Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Excursion Suggestions

Yes, we are from Ontario. We are going thru Eurosun holidays. Had better flight times for us. Noticed some good last minutes thru itravel 2000 today. Sounds like you had a good time - hope we do - our first time.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excursion Suggestions

We just returned 2 weeks ago from a trip to Portugal.When I read this post it was aewsome as we did very similiar trips up to Monichique and thru Spain,we went thru Seville to Granada and went to the Allumbra which was amazing,also we went to a Van Morrison concert and then over to Gibralter for 2 nights and we went to Morroco for a day trip.We drove ourselves and had no problem except for finding our hotel in Granada.I wouldnt go to Morroco without a guide.I have to say this too was the highlight of our trip,we just loved Gibralter,we stayed at The Rock Hotel and had a great experiance and would love to go back.In the Algarve we also took a trip to Lagos nd Lisbon which was very enjoyable.

Ontario
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Excursion Suggestions

Hi Egamsgrandmom, I Have been looking for that very tour you mentioned, and thank you for the info, as we are going to Albufeira with signature on Mar 13 only for 1 week. we are happy to squeeze in more excitement, so I to have booked this tour. it was a little leg work but fortunately i looked under Mega tur and proceeded from their. We are paying the same as you had, since they say prices will go up for anything from MAY Onward. I just need to receive the vouchers via e mail and we are all set. any tips or hints for what to take or not take for those 3 DAYS. We are a family of 5 , young teens and us old folks. aif anyone else is reading this post and needs more details for contacts let me know, at franpear@sympatico.ca. Thanks again for youe helpful post, i love these forums.

Toronto Ontario...
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Excursion Suggestions

congrats.. you will have such a blast.. I guess you are leaving on the Wednesday and returning the Friday like we did. Hopefully and I believe this will happen, you will be picked up first as Vitors is one of the last farthest hotels. Which means you should get the first pick of rooms at the hotel. if it's the one we stayed at our room was right right smack in front of the rock of Gibraltor. Your kids will love the Monkeys at the Rock.

Some items to bring? Well it should be warm in Morocco, but bring anything light to wear that y ou can take off if it gets warm. It is breezy on the boat. You can leave stuff on the bus but the bus will not cross over the ferry. The bus will be locked and should be so just don't leave anything you can't live without on it.

Well you will need money for your first stop just when you get into spain. All breakfasts and dinners should be included in your hotel stay, which means you will have to worry about your lunches, except in Morocco. That may be included in the rate you paid. It was for us. We had lunch in a wonderful Morrocan restaurant with live music. Very nice! There will be alot of walking to do though in Morocco but I survived so can you!

Gibraltor will be fun on your last day, you will also need to pay for your lunch then. Gibraltor is very expensive. I will tell you now, we paid $19.00 Cdn. for 1 beer, 1 slice of pizza and a coke. Pure rip off. So you may want to bring some food with you at least for the kids. I was very shocked with that.

Make sure that you are covered for the bus ride up the mountain as we had to pay extra for this. Otherwise you basically would have to wait for the others. It's a lot of fun.

by the way.. you are most welcome. It's these forums that get answers from trustworthy people that help us go about our travels with as less stress as possible. good luck!

Toronto Ontario...
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Excursion Suggestions

fran I tried to email you at the address you posted but it came back saying it's not valid.