We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AirAuto Car Hire Faro

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
366 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
AirAuto Car Hire Faro

I've just booked my car hire via Argus as usual and the local company they are using is this AirAuto. I did a quick search on here about them and it was all bad news but about 5 years old. Question is: Has anyone used them more recently and have they got their act together?

82 replies to this topic
London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: AirAuto Car Hire Faro

I would also reinforce; avoid this company at all costs they are rip-off merchants!

London
Level Contributor
23 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: AirAuto Car Hire Faro

All these posts are really negative and I can't be bothered with the hassle. So I think I'm going to canx my reservation. Thanks all for sharing and preventing other travellers from making the same mistake.

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: AirAuto Car Hire Faro

Just had a bad experience with them. They hadn't marked some paint damage which we noticed before we took the car. We used only motorways and main roads, sparingly over four days, and when we returned the car, they said we'd damaged a tyre to the tune of buying a new one at 84€. It looked very much as though this was a scam and looking at some of these posts, we might not be far from the truth on that one. Avoid. We booked through the normally reliable HolidayAutos and so will be advising them on this. The Airauto personnel we met at Faro Airport were less than pleasant.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: AirAuto Car Hire Faro

The bad reputation this company has goes back a few years now, I can't believe they are still in business!!. It's amazing how many people book car hire abroad without any research first.

Edited: 03 March 2014, 18:22
London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: AirAuto Car Hire Faro

I was allocated AirAutos through HolidayAutos.com I was given no choice. I did make a complaint to Holiday Autos about AirAutos but they were just not interested. I have learnt my lesson to book direct with trusted car rental companies at all airports now and not to use the search engines.

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: AirAuto Car Hire Faro

Keep well clear of Air Auto seems to be the message. I am surprised by Holiday Autos. If I receive the same treatment, I will steer clear of them in future, too. Air Auto, to reiterate, are definitely sharks.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 08:24
Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: AirAuto Car Hire Faro

ELR228 yes apologies,,unfortunately you don't get a choice with Holiday Autos . It's a lesson to all though. You need to know your supplier before you get over there and their policies, only use a company who can give you a choice ie Economycarhire or better still book direct with the likes of travelrent drive4fun.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: AirAuto Car Hire Faro

After reading all the reports about Air Autos I have now cancelled my booking. I could not risk my holiday being spoilt by a cowboy outfit in the car park. I booked through Holiday Autos as I viewed them as a responsible company. I have now lost confidence in their brand and will no longer use Holiday Autos to make my Car hire reservations as they deal with non reputable traders.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: AirAuto Car Hire Faro

Good on you GoldXJS! The more that do that the message will soon get through. . I am sure you will find a more reputable firm. As said before travelrent , drive4fun come recommended through Economycarhire.

Belfast, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
40. Re: AirAuto Car Hire Faro

AVOID AVOID AVOID - HORRENDOUS RENTAL COMPANY

We hired from air auto for 3 days in the past week. Upon arrival...and after a 40 minute queue in a rugby scrum, we were finally handed the keys and necessary documentation. A 20 euro charge card for the tolls was also purchased despite only actually running up 4.25 euro in toll usage - lesson learned there.

The main issue was the damage sheet that was given to us on day one. It had 2 or 3 areas highlighted from the company rep and upon checking the vehicle (which was filthy) we noted at least a further 7-8 scratches / key marks etc. When challenged, the rep advised that the car was "wet" when it was brought back. Luckily none of us were standing close enough to be hit by his expending nose at that time. The weather looked like it had not rained in about a month and certainly not that day. The rep acknowledged the new scratches on the sheet and off we went.

The car was merely to transport us along the motorway to our location and back. Is was not used at any other time.

The problem arose upon returning the vehicle. When was parked up (having been advised that if we arrived 10 minutes earlier there would have been a 20 euro early drop off charge!) we were approached by an obnoxious, hatchet faced female rep from air auto. She took a cursory glance at the drivers side and when assessing the passenger side immediately focused upon a tiny wing mirror scratch that was evident when we took the vehicle but was not signed off. Our fault for not being initially meticulous but having identified another 7-8 scratches...we believed that the point had been made to the company on the day of hire.

Mrs Hatchet face arrogantly announced that this was damage caused by us and charged 60 euros for doing so. Having read other reviews on this site, I am firmly of the opinion that she knew in advance of this wing mirror scratch. This view was supported by the fact that she made no effort to check the remainder of the car once the "damage" was identified and behaved like a seasoned traffic warden.

Her attitude and standard of customer service was horrendous and truly shocking...not something anyone hiring a car should have to experience. This would be enough to ruin a holiday for some people. She stated that the insurance would cover it when we claimed back...a thriving little industry.

Make no mistake, this was opportunistic robbery.

A pity that Roger Cook is no longer gracing our televisions!

Reply to: AirAuto Car Hire Faro
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted