We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AirAuto Car Hire Faro

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
366 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
AirAuto Car Hire Faro

I've just booked my car hire via Argus as usual and the local company they are using is this AirAuto. I did a quick search on here about them and it was all bad news but about 5 years old. Question is: Has anyone used them more recently and have they got their act together?

83 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: AirAuto Car Hire Faro

Worst experience ever with a car hire company. Pick up was chaotic. car was filthy. I was then charged €150 on return for a scratch that was there on pick up despite being on the damage report but in a marginally different spot. I feel I have been scammed and will never use or recommend these cowboys.

Level Contributor
15 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: AirAuto Car Hire Faro

I used them in April. They are awful. If you use them expect to be conned. They are the lowest of scum.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: AirAuto Car Hire Faro

Seven pages on airauto now and 99.9% negative!!! ( even more about Goldcar) Unless we spread the word there will be more pages to come and more people getting scammed. . Not everyone reads Tripadvisor.

Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
64. Re: AirAuto Car Hire Faro

Hi All,

I found this thread 2 days before I flew to Faro. I had booked with economycarrentals and I had just noticed that the hire company was AirAuto. It was too late to cancel or make alternative arrangements so I was dreading having to hire the car through them after reading this post.

I've used economycarrentals 4 times previously in different countries (including Faro,Portugal) and never had any issues. However, I never used AirAuto before.

I knew what to expect in Faro as all the small hire car companies are in car park 4 inside a small cabin. What was interesting is that the queue for AirAuto was by far the longest. The other companies were not very busy when I was there. After a long queue wait, I found the person I dealt with was pleasent and helpful. I got the keys of the car and I asked what damage the car had. He said the driver's door lock was damaged. This was the only item on the sheet. Having read the reviews here, I wanted to fully check the car myself. He said that was fine and he asked me to note any issues on the damage sheet and he would review and sign-off. The car was a 2011 Ford Focus Estate. There were numerous scratches and chips on almost all body panels. Some trim around one of the fog lights was also missing and the locking fuel cap was missing (the fuel flap was still there). I noted all of the issues on the sheet and the guy signed and dated the sheet. He didn't have any issues with my findings. I also took photos of the car and the damaged areas for reference.

I had the car for a week. It worked perfectly and I had no issues. When I returned, I went to the desk (there was a big queue again). I asked how to return the car and I was politely told where to go to get someone to check the car. The person checked the car and they had no issues. I dropped back the keys and left.

Perhaps this was an exception, but I found the whole process to be relatively painless, but I did have to do my own detailed checks for damage and take photos. I don't know if this made a difference, but I'm glad I did it. I'd recommend that others do the same if they use them.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

2 posts
Save Reply
65. Re: AirAuto Car Hire Faro

I used them earlier this year and they were awful, My advice would be to use a "big" company.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: AirAuto Car Hire Faro

Dc Dublin , glad you were happy with them sure plenty are and don't report it on here. I would have been a bit concerned about driving away with no cap on the fuel tank though. I would just check your credit card bills for the next few months. Years ago when I did use them they took 96 euro off mine for a damaged mirror which we reported to them ......before we drove the car away!!!!! I did however get a refund on that after about six phone calls to their office and few heated discussions.

Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
67. Re: AirAuto Car Hire Faro

Thanks Liverpoolman. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on the credit card over the next few weeks. I only realised the missing fuel cap after I took the car. Had I noticed before, I would have definitely raised this.

Shaftesbury
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: AirAuto Car Hire Faro

Be very wary of Airauto. I booked a car as I do many times a year as I travel abroad on business alot. After completing paperwork I was shown to a car. It looked acceptable. (I am used to Spanish and Portuguese hire cars!!) But when I opened the door the stench nearly knocked me out. It was filthy and the smell was unbearable. It looked as though it had been full of wet sand...that had seeped into the carpets and started to rot them! I politely rejected this car (much to the annoyance of a member of staff). I was then showed to a car that looked as though it had been in a rallye. It was badly damaged and had a partially inflated tyre....crazy! I rejected this too only to be told that they had no more cars to offer me! I asked for a refund. This was reluctantly given to me. I also asked for the security block for €1000 to be cancelled. This was also done but when I asked for a copy of the cancelled transaction the guy became very abusive, would not give me a copy and told me to go to the terminal building and get the Police if I wasn't happy.....well over-reaction. I then paid over £100 more with Avis...but I had a good, safe car that didn't smell...well worth £100!!

Make your own minds up guys...but I for one will be stearing very clear from these Cowboys.

Kent, United Kingdom
1 post
Save Reply
69. Re: AirAuto Car Hire Faro

MY ADVISE - DO NOT USE AIRAUTO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately I did not look at this forum before booking my car rental last year, and was suckered by the apparent low cost of the hire with AirAuto. I too feel I have been conned by this company. I was charged for damage on return of the car, which I am adament was not caused during our hire. The car was covered in so many scratches and bumps that it would have taken hours to mark up all of them. We were also charged an exorbitant fuel charge for bringing the car back with marginally less fuel than we received it and they add 'administration fees' on everything.

I would recommend steering well clear of this hire company. If you do use them, make sure you take your time marking the damage sheet and take pictures of every panel and the fuel gauge both when you receive the car and when you return it.

AirAuto obviously make their money on the extra charges inflicted at the end of the hire period. The bigger companies may seem expensive on the initial hire fee, but you will be getting a much better car, more piece of mind that you will not be ripped off and in the end you will probably be paying less anyway.

I am still pursuing a refund on the charges, but am not getting very far.

I will definitely not be using AirAuto again!

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
70. Re: AirAuto Car Hire Faro

I had a similar dreadful experience with Airauto, lets just say they make their money when you return the car.

Do not trust them one inch and watch their employee very closely when you reurn your car (I forgot to ignore the kids and luggage and left them to inspect unsupervised which I suspect cost me the € 307 fix up charge.

this company is to be avoided like the plague, they are the cheapest initial charge for a very good reason!

Reply to: AirAuto Car Hire Faro
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted