We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tolls on A22 motorway across Algarve

vienna
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Topic
Tolls on A22 motorway across Algarve

The new toll system is an excellent example for very poor planning and management. If you have a Portuguese licence plate, you need to wait 2 days to pay. And this can only be done at a Post Office - which you need to locate and once there wait approx 1 hour in a queue!!! If you have a foreign licence plate you need to buy a ticket for your destination - of you happen to know where you are going and how often you will use the motorway. Either case is nothing short of a nightmare - that tourists should have to waste much time of their holiday simply to pay a toll. To be avoided - as most portuguese do. The result is tremendous bottlenecks on the normal road (EN 125) across the Algarve. You just cannot win! There are also many legal aspects - but that is yet another story .... !

Minorca, Spain
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tolls on A22 motorway across Algarve

The toll system is madness for us tourists hiring cars for a short holiday. We hired with Europcar who told us we had to pay at a post office or 'Pay shop' if we used motorways within 5 days of use. We actually found quite a few shops with the Pay Shop symbol (a red sign with a white arrow on it) and paid with no difficulty. BUT - returning to Faro airport we used the motorway. We tried to settle with Europcar but they cannot accept payment. We've been told that at some stage we will be sent a bill and a fine, but that we don't have to pay it. I'm not at all happy about this and suspect that when we return and hire a car again there will be problems. This really has to be sorted out by the car hire companies as it will cause mayhem in the summer.

London
Level Contributor
22 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tolls on A22 motorway across Algarve

I will be picking up a rental car at Faro airport on June 8, and returning it on June 22.

I will be staying close to Tavira and I'm perfectly happy to use the A22 and pay the tolls, but after reading on TripAdvisor the possible pitfalls about paying 48 hours after using the road I'm thinking of using the old N125 instead. I'm not a cheapskate, I just don't relish getting into an argument with the rental firm about any tolls being due after I've left Portugal. Aside from trips to Lisbon and Oporto I haven't been to Portugal, or at least the Algarve, for around 20 years. Am I asking for mega traffic and aggravation in opting for the old road? I can't recall any major hassles in using the old road years ago, but of course, things can change a lot in 20 years.

lisbon
Level Contributor
280 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tolls on A22 motorway across Algarve

I would rather say that it's the result of having Europe pushing and pushing and pushing the Portuguese main political parties in order to have these dysfunctional electronic systems.

This is seriously affecting tourism income in the Algarve as well as general comunications using the Portuguese roads.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tolls on A22 motorway across Algarve

It's an ongoing struggle and because the Algarve toll road is avoided there's a loss of 40 million euro a year on maintenance. Another bill for the tax payers. Protests are still going on. Let's hope that one day soon they have some effect. algarveresident.com/0-52522/algarve/shatteri…

Edited: 28 April 2013, 08:57
Sagres
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tolls on A22 motorway across Algarve

djneal

august will be, i believe a very bad time to travel in N125 around albufeira, mainly because its the holidays for portuguese people, and also many tourists come on that time.

Beside August, well you can travel easy in N125, dont expect to be driving 100km/h everywhere ;)

It's a nice travel to see more of Algarve and all of that small villages and towns around the N125

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tolls on A22 motorway across Algarve

As the above poster, I enjoy driving the N125 as you see so much more of all the lovely towns and villages on the way...and it's generally pretty quiet out of season. Not sure what it will be like in August though and take care, it has a VERY high accident rate.

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tolls on A22 motorway across Algarve

Hi ,travelling in Portugal with my daughter and grandchildren from 29/05/13 for one week. Can anyone give driving directions from Faro Airport to Lagos, avoiding the motorway. Thanks. Allan

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tolls on A22 motorway across Algarve

Leave the airport, drive direction Faro, turn off direction "Portimao". This brings you to the N125 (also called EN125) and you keep following this road all the way to Lagos.

Have a look at Google maps?

Edited: 22 May 2013, 18:31
Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tolls on A22 motorway across Algarve

Thanks for your help. Allan

Sagres
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tolls on A22 motorway across Algarve

Like FTHW if you bring a GPS, just bring a google maps with you.

When you enter in the N125 you dont need to worry in getting inside the Toll Road ;)

Enjoy the weather :)