We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"The Top 25 Hotels in Portugal" - Implications - Algarve

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,066 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
"The Top 25 Hotels in Portugal" - Implications - Algarve

There is a very interesting article on http://goo.gl/sJW0I concerning "The Top 25 Hotels in Portugal" according to Tripadvisor's Travellers’ Choice 2013 awards.

It is especially interesting that ONLY 3 of the hotels are located in the Algarve, namely in Sagres, Quinta do Lago and Vilamoura. The Madeira and Lisbon region make up the bulk of the rest of the awards.

The relative lack of awards to Hotels located in the Algarve, supports my ever increasing opinion that the Algarve is daily becoming less and less attractive to travellers with substantial disposable income, and that other regions in Portugal, especially Lisbon, are rapidly overtaking the Algarve as the better known tourist destinations in Portugal.

I am afraid that this report is another sign that the future for tourism generated growth in the Algarve is not good!

Sagres
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: "The Top 25 Hotels in Portugal" - Implications - Algarve

My opinion after reading yours...is that I'm happy that Algarve is starting to be forgeted...why? all this construction boom destroyed almost every place in Algarve... Lagos for example is one of the last that i know better that i've been destroyed by this so called "resorts"... Sagres, well a big Resort, that one that you mentioned, in general they didnt destroyed anything, and it was one of the best measures for long decades taked by the Council to allow that construction!

the only negative point in Sagres Resort was that the people that come to work in that resort are mainly from another regions of portugal

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,179 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "The Top 25 Hotels in Portugal" - Implications - Algarve

I think its because people are discovering what a wonderful country and people Portugal is they started with this visits to the sea and sun now they are finding out about Porto Lisbon Fatima and lots more.Hopefully it will help Portugal get back on its feet and for the people to have a better standard of living and less taxes.

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "The Top 25 Hotels in Portugal" - Implications - Algarve

11of the hotels are in and around Funchal it seems The Algarve is being left behind and needs to up its game

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,238 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "The Top 25 Hotels in Portugal" - Implications - Algarve

Perhaps hotels in the Algarve are 'dumbing down' for the British, who want everything as cheap as possible. (I generalise but you know what I mean!)

Here is another reason why people are being put off coming to the Algarve. These kind of sights can be seen all over the region. These are some pictures of one small part of one town which I can see from my window. Who would want to stay somewhere that looks like this?

http://sdrv.ms/13CwtOA

Pictures taken on Tuesday this week. This site has been like this for nearly a year now.

Edited: 18 January 2013, 20:34
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,238 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "The Top 25 Hotels in Portugal" - Implications - Algarve

And how about this, nearby and within view of several villas etc.

albufeira.com/forum/uploads/81/SAM_0520.JPG

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "The Top 25 Hotels in Portugal" - Implications - Algarve

That goes to show that the coutry is much bigger (better?) than the Algarve.

Lisboa and Madeira are also major players in the tourism market and OPorto has started its way in recent years with much to offer besides mass tourism.

As other portuguese regions rise its inevitable an -at least relative - decay of the Algarve.

Edited: 21 January 2013, 17:45
Sagres, Portugal
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: "The Top 25 Hotels in Portugal" - Implications - Algarve

I agree with most of you, low prices, more and different offer in the North and Islands, it looks like there are several reasons.

The one I find most important is the overconstruction that made the entire Algarve look the same, therefore loosing identity. BTW goverment made no plans about this and some areas lack of important infrastructures.

This makes sence with the good reviews most of the hotels in the Sagres area have, people want to have unique experiences and Sagres is unique within the Algarve (or any other place)

As manager of Sagres Time apartments I answer the first quote saying the over 70% of our Team come directly from Sagres, and only our Director is from a further place than Lagos. It is sound to make sure about statements before making them public - no remorse :)

8. Re: "The Top 25 Hotels in Portugal" - Implications - Algarve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2014, 06:15