We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perplexed With Buses From Albufeira

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
940 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
Perplexed With Buses From Albufeira

Just doing some early research for my holiday next year and I'm totally confused about buses to other towns such as Lagos and Alvor.

Can you buy a daily bus ticket that gets you to these towns like you can here in the West Midlands? Or is it just 2 singles to do a return journey?

I have looked at the bus timetables and am I reading right that there is often only 1 or 2 buses an hour?

Is the main bus station walkable from Solaqua hotel?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,962 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perplexed With Buses From Albufeira

So am I and I live here!

There is no daily pass for the buses between the various towns. You pay cash for each trip. One or two buses an hour is an unheard luxury of here on most routes, especially at weekends and buses stop at around 730pm. The last bus back from Lagos to Albufeira is at 6pm.

(There are 3 day and 7 day passes but they are expensive options.)

This page will give you the times of the buses between Albufeira, Alvor and Lagos.

www.algarvebus.info/002s.htm

When you get on the bus in Albufeira or Lagos, you must buy your ticket inside at the ticket office window. At Alvor pay the driver as per normal. Buses do not have route numbers. At Alvor there is just the one stop for both directions. Last time I was there no timetable were posted.

The bus station at Albufeira is about half a mile from Solaqua. It is uphill all the way though.

Here's a map www.algarvebus.info/images/abfcentre.gif

If you come out from Solaqua past the Modelo shopping centre to the main road, you will see the McDonalds sign easily over to your left.. Cross the road, turn right at the traffic lights just past McDonalds and go right to the top of the hill.The bus station is off to your right when you get there. Alternatively there are local GIRO buses four times an hour from the stop on the same side of the road as McDonald's leaving at about 09, 15, 39 and 45 minutes past the hour. They arrive at the bus station between 5 and 10 minutes later (those at 9 and 39 go a long way round) and it costs €1,40.

Bus back down the hill leave on the hour and half hour, LInha VERDE (Green)

A day ticket for the GIRO buses around Albufeira is €4.00 which you can buy from the driver.

I hope that helps.

Edited: 14 October 2013, 12:23
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,962 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perplexed With Buses From Albufeira

"The bus station is off to your right when you get there"

No it's not, it's on the left at the roundabout at the top of the hill. Don't even know me left from me right...

Sorry.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
940 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perplexed With Buses From Albufeira

Thank you Cubsur I appreciate your help as always.

The Algarve doesn't seem as easy to get round as some of the places I've visited :(

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,962 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perplexed With Buses From Albufeira

Public transport is a very low priority here, sad to say.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
940 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perplexed With Buses From Albufeira

That's a shame.

Is it still worth me using the buses to see the different towns, or shall I look more into the organised excursions available?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,962 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perplexed With Buses From Albufeira

The excursions are all very well but you are tied to their timetable. At least if you use the public buses you can come back earlier if bored or sometimes a bit later if happy. That applies particularly to the trips to the 'gypsy´markets!

Some of the excursions will be more expensive than the bus. For example it only costs €5.45 to get all the way to Lagos.

There are ticket shops all over town where you can find out about excursions. Do make sure sure you know EXACTLY where you will be picked up. Tales abound of people being left behind as they didn't understand. And they don't get their money back it seems!

Edited: 14 October 2013, 14:00
Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
940 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Perplexed With Buses From Albufeira

Thanks Cubsur. Guess ill just see how I get on with public transport when if get there.

Will ask more in due course I'm sure :)

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
7,933 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Perplexed With Buses From Albufeira

What we usually do is find the bus stop with a pub or coffee shop beside it and go for a drink if a bus happens to come along get it and ask the driver when the 2last one is coming back not the last one as a lot of times the 2nd last is the last.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
940 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Perplexed With Buses From Albufeira

Lol thanks for the tip wrappido!!

I like to play it on the safe side too!!

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
940 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Perplexed With Buses From Albufeira

Me again!!

I was wondering if it would be worth me buying the 7 day tourist pass as I plan to use buses to get about most days, and if a return to Lagos would cost me over 10 euros, surely this would work out better value?

Does the tourist pass cover all towns such as Lagos, Alvor, Vilamoura, Portimao, Faro? Plus local buses?

Thanks.