We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which town

Har72
Level Contributor
128 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
which town

We are four girls that go away for a short break once a year. Love to visit pretty towns/villages and have been to Sitges, Ville franche sur mer, Bardolino, Antibes, Nerja ... so perhaps this give you an idea of what I'm after. Thought maybe Faro would be handy from Belfast, so does anyone know of a quaint town on the Algarve not full of high rise hotels and burger bars?

If anyone has any other suggestions rather than the Algarve that would also be good.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,000 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which town

Right out in the west of the region are Burgau and Salema. Relratively unspoiled but a long way from the airport though. Most of the Algarve coast is pretty much given over to mass tourism one way or another.

To the east of the airport is Tavira, but it's not quite on the coast. You have to take a little ferry across to the island to get to a beach. Further east are Cabanas, but that has some rather unpretty resort developments nearby, then Altura and Monte Gordo although both are fairly modern towns with little quaintness. In fact along the coast the Algarve does not really do quaint.

If you want to see some real Portugal, fly to Porto and visit the north of the country. I am short of recommendations for that end as I don't venture up there very often and it's usually in winter and raining.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: which town

When will your short break be please? Are you looking for a beach holiday?

Har72
Level Contributor
128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which town

Hi

End of may or first week of June.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: which town

Are you looking for a beach holiday?

Har72
Level Contributor
128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which town

Thanks that's just what I thought I think we'll have to go elsewhere. Thanks again.

Har72
Level Contributor
128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which town

We like to be close to the water in a typical village or town. I looked on the web but could find nothing that's why I'm on this forum I find it really helpful.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: which town

OK, have a look at Santa Luzia, which is East of Faro.

It's a small fishing village, known for octopus fishing. It's located very close to Tavira which is nice for a visit. Santa Luzia is located near the lagoon and you have to cross a footbridge and a path to go to the beach (Barril beach). Along the path they run a little train, if walking is not an option. There's also a little ferry in summer time.

Have a look at Youtube videos if this is a place you'd enjoy?

www.visitalgarve.pt

www.tavirauncovered.com/

Otherwise - if you can fly to Porto - the beach town Costa Nova (near Aveiro)

…wikimedia.org/wiki/…Costa_Nova_do_Prado.jpg

The weather in the north is not as good as in the south, there's a chance of sea fog.

8. Re: which town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 06:18