We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Faro Train Station- Take Taxi to airport to pick up car

toronto
Level Contributor
240 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Faro Train Station- Take Taxi to airport to pick up car

Hello, we will be arriving in Lisbon early sunday morning in mid June and we are planning to take the train to Faro right away in the am to our final Lagos destination ( i cant see raileurope times yet, i hope there is an early morning sunday train). When looking at the big car rental companies, budget,avis,europcar, there does not seem to be any car offices at the Faro train station, i assume i will have to take a taxi to the faro airport to go get my car, is this correct and how long and how $ will this be. also is it a relatively easy drive from Faro to Lagos.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Faro Train Station- Take Taxi to airport to pick up car

Hi,

I did a quick search and apparently Europcar has a pickup station right next to the Faro Train Station:

ED.INTERRENT

AV.DO AEROPORTO

8005-146 FARO

Telefone: +351 289 807233

Fax: +351 289 807233

europcar.pt/aluguer-de-carro-PORTUGAL-FARO.h…

cheers,

miguel

Lisbon
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Faro Train Station- Take Taxi to airport to pick up car

Sorry... although the map in the europcar website shows this station as close to the train station...the map is wrong. This one is also in the airport.

sorry for misleading you.

cheers,

miguel

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,525 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Faro Train Station- Take Taxi to airport to pick up car

Why not take a train all the way to Lagos, then a taxi to your final destination and pick up a rental car in town on the Monday?

There is a Sunday morning train from Lisbon Oriente station ( nearest to the airport) at 0824 arriving in Faro at 1124. The next one is a slower train at 1020 arriving in Faro at 1340.

Do NOT book train tickets with Rail Europe. They do not run trains. See below.

Most train services in Portugal are operated by the state railway company CP - Comboios de Portugal.

You can get train times and fares in detail at the Portuguese Railways website www.cp.pt and you can get the site in English (if required) by clicking on the little flag icon at the top of the page, next to where it says 'Acesso Rapido'.

The site includes downloadable and printable timetables for all lines, as well as a search on point to point timings for specific journeys.

Seat reservation is compulsory on all Alfa Pendular and InterCity long distance trains. On line reservations open 30 days before travel. You print your own ticket, so must have access to a printer. If you have a Portuguese mobile phone you can also have your ticket sent by SMS. (At the time of writing I don't know if this works for non-Portuguese phones.)

There is currently a 40% discount for long distance tickets purchased more than 5 days in advance. You will not get this with Rail Europe.

Also, if purchasing tickets on line, you are asked for ID which for most visitors will be a passport number. Have these ready at the time of purchase and for inspection on the train.

Tickets can be bought at the station up to the last minute, but if the train is full you will have to wait for the next one, which might be tomorrow.

Using those trains above, you can change at Tunes and go direct to Lagos. The connections are within 15 minutes. You can buy Lisbon - Tunes tickets on line and then you pay for the Tunes - Lagos local train ticket at Tunes station ticket office. These cost €4,35 and there is ample time. Tunes - Lagos takes about an hour and you would arrive in Lagos about 30 minutes later than the times at Faro..

if you do go to faro, taxis wait at the station. It's a 10 minute ride to the airport which will cost about 12 Euros on a Sunday. I don't know if any of the rental agencies in Faro city are open on Sundays. There are none at the station itself, but it is in the centre. As Miguel says, the car rental stands are at the airprot or along the road leading to it.

It will take about an hour to drive from Faro to Lagos using the A22 highway. This is a toll road, electronic tolls only. You must therefore check that the rental car is fitted with the pre paid transponder for toll payment. There is no option to pay tolls in cash.

I hope that helps.

Edited: 26 January 2014, 14:53
Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,169 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Faro Train Station- Take Taxi to airport to pick up car

Whoa???

Why not arrange to pickup the car in Lagos as Cubsur says!

Europcar and Budget both have a bases here and Hertz and Avis have bases in Praia da Rocha.!

If you are coming to Lagos, change at Tunes and take the train to either Portimão or Lagos and get the car hire firm to pick you up at one of those stations.

If you are just going to be driving around the Lagos/Algarve area, you could even try one of the local car hire companies in Lagos such as Luzcar.com (highly recommended), Marina Car Hire, Daily Rent, etc. make sure to get them to deliver it to you at Lagos station as taxis can be like hen's teeth there,

toronto
Level Contributor
240 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Faro Train Station- Take Taxi to airport to pick up car

Hello all, thank you very much for the information. I don't mind driving from the airport, switching trains etc with luggage is a hassle for me, I also love driving in foreign countries and exploring ( no rush to get to hotel, would be stopping and exploring on the way versus not being able to do that with the train). Also, we require an Automatic car which is limited and seems available at the airport locations. thank you all very much for your help, I just booked the hotel in Lagos, I'm very excited, looks beautiful. rail Europe shows sunday morning train 8:24 am (in sunday on februaury, just assuming it would be same in June) for $43, CUBSUR, I've booked trains all across Europe through raileurope with no problems, are you saying its simply cheaper to go directly cp.pt or are you saying I can encounter other problems for this journey if booking through raileurope?

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,175 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Faro Train Station- Take Taxi to airport to pick up car

If you like driving and don't mind spending a bit of money on gasoline and toll, why not drive from Lisbon to Lagos?

7. Re: Faro Train Station- Take Taxi to airport to pick up car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 06:18