We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portugal itinerary

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Portugal itinerary

I have asked several questions on trip advisor regarding our trip to Portugal in September, 2014. I was getting my itinerary somewhat set pending approval of the other 3 people. Now....the other man in our group has been to the doctor. His walking ability is significantly decreased due to poor circulation. This has worsened in the last 4 months. I'm back to square one with planning. We have 14 days in Portugal. We land in Lisbon. We planned to take the train to the algarve. I have been looking at algarve forums. Does it make sense to visit this area if we can't walk the beaches? What are some other options for tourists? We thought then we would find a cheap flight to Porto and tour the Douro Valley area for 5 days. Perhaps a river cruise. Then we were going to take the train to Lisbon and spend the remainder of our time stationed in Lisbon but touring the area. Now with this situation, does this itinerary make sense? Can anyone suggest ways to tour with someone who can't walk long distances? We have talked about taking a portable wheelchair with us. This person doesn't want to spoil our trip but his circulation problem is setting limits. I'd appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks.

Tukano Tuk Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Tuk Tuk Tavira
Eco Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Portitours - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,530 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portugal itinerary

"Does it make sense to visit this area if we can't walk the beaches?"

Certain areas of the Algarve are flat, for example Vilamoura and Monte Gordo (despite the name) and I suggest would present no difficulties. Vilamoura has several hotels almost on the beach. Praia da Rocha is flat but access to the beach, except at one end, is by long flights of steps.

The main hotels in Alvor and Torralta (near Portimão) are more or less on the beach and in flat areas but the old village of Alvor is on a hill, as are so many towns and villages here. They were built that way for defensive purposes.

However many of the resort towns eg Albufeira are not much suited to those with walking difficulties.

Lisbon is very hilly indeed and will present problems if a wheelchair is needed.

2. Re: Portugal itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2015, 05:18