We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reputable rental car companies (FAO - LIS, 3 days)

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
171 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Reputable rental car companies (FAO - LIS, 3 days)

Yes, I know yet another rental car question.

I'm planning on picking up a car at Faro Airport and returning at Lisbon Airport, duration is 3 days in June. I'll need an automatic because last time I drove a manual in Europe it was a disaster (long story). Since there's four of us going, with luggage, 2 child seats, and I need an automatic transmission, it's going to be a pricey car rental.

Through Costcotravel, I have a booking with Avis for ~ US$514 (Mercedes C class Auto). The booking is not prepaid or even secured by credit card, so I'm concerned that the car won't actually be there for me. I'm also concerned about additional charges when I get there (don't know about Avis' reputation in Portugal; in the US they are fine).

Through EconomyCarHire I can book with Rent Auto for 199 British Pounds (Renault Megane Estate Auto). Is Rent Auto reputable?

Faro Car has no availability.

Please advise on Avis and Rent Auto. If there's another firm that's solid, please let me know. Keep in mind I'm picking up in Faro but returning in Lisbon.

1. Re: Reputable rental car companies (FAO - LIS, 3 days)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 07:58
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve
Level Contributor
14,187 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reputable rental car companies (FAO - LIS, 3 days)

Have a look at AutoJardim.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 07:59
Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
171 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reputable rental car companies (FAO - LIS, 3 days)

Thanks for the suggestion, FTHW. Auto Jardim comes out to Eur 428 for the 3 days; that's before child seats and GPS.

Any feedback on Rent Auto?

Europe
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reputable rental car companies (FAO - LIS, 3 days)

Not used Rent Auto - but generally - Economy Car Hire have a good reputation and their terms and conditions are clear on the website. We've used them several times now, mainly with Drive 4 Fun, and had no issues. Good cars and service.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,876 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reputable rental car companies (FAO - LIS, 3 days)

Used rent auto in march for a minibus, no issues, here again but now using our trusty friend Travel rent booked through Economycarhire. ( who we use all the time) Was allocated a Fiesta in excellent condition.never had a problem drive4fun either.

Lymm, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
285 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reputable rental car companies (FAO - LIS, 3 days)

I have always used Travel Rent, but not sure that they do a facility to collect at Faro and drop off at Lisbon, this may only be available from the multinational companies

7. Re: Reputable rental car companies (FAO - LIS, 3 days)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 06:17