We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big dilema: Albufeira or Lagos?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
120 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Big dilema: Albufeira or Lagos?

Hi! I will be travelling with my wife and 2 sons (3 years and 7 months) to Portugal. we will be landing in Faro and I would like to know what would you recommend for us - Albufeira or Lagos? I saw that Lagos has those amazing beaches that you see on any Algarve poster, but Albufeira also have lovely shores. Is the water warm? We've never been to Atlantic before. We are interested in history, some fun for the kids, and affordable holiday.

P.S. - we will be landing at Faro at 23:00. could you please recommend a place to stay until morning, or there are night trains/buses to travel further? Thanks everybody for taking time to answer!

Sunderland
Level Contributor
990 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big dilema: Albufeira or Lagos?

What are the dates of your holiday?

If you are planning to arrive in peak season you may well struggle to find accommodation as most of it will already be booked.

Best to try to look now and have something in place for when you arrive.

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big dilema: Albufeira or Lagos?

Lagos is a nice town with a good mix of Portuguese and tourists,.Albufeira is a disney land.

a taxi from airport to faro costs about 10 euro;There are a lot of hotels in faro look tripadvisor, you can try also residencial Adelaide.you can book with internet

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
120 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big dilema: Albufeira or Lagos?

I forgot to mention - we will be landing on the 25th of August in Faro. Gojibes, what do you mean when you say Albufeira is Disneyland? Is more for kids? Would 10 days in Algarve be much? We will be travelling by train or bus, whatever is cheaper :D

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,175 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Big dilema: Albufeira or Lagos?

August is high season and you are a little late making arrangements. You may have to go for what's available. Both Albufeira and Lagos will be very busy. Albufeira is a popular British oriented holiday resort with little Portuguese culture. Lagos may offer some more culture in combination with tourism. Both have beautiful beaches. The famous Ponte de Piedade rock formations can be found near Lagos. Sea water will be around 21-22C at the end of August.

Transfer time from the airport to Albufeira would be around 40 min and for Lagos about an hour. I suggest you book a transfer service straight to your accommodation, rather than taking a taxi and booking a hotel near the airport.

Have a look at the top questions (to the right of this page) "airport transfers". There's a whole list with companies. Their price would probably be the same as spending the night near the airport.

For accommodation you could find tabs in the header of this page: "vacation rentals" and "hotels".

www.albufeirauncovered.com

www.lagosuncovered.com

And have a look at some Youtube videos, it may give you more of a feeling for both.

Edited: 03 July 2014, 19:50
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,525 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big dilema: Albufeira or Lagos?

Albufeira is about as not like Disneyland as anywhere I can imagine. There are no funfairs, waterparks etc. These are all miles out of town.

It is, as FTHW says, a very popular and very large holiday resort where 40% of the tourists are British, quite a lot of Irish too. But it is full now until the end of August unless you are prepared to break the bank.

Albufeira has wide and sandy beaches both in town and outside, plus a lot of little beaches down steep hills at the bottom of little lanes.

Lagos is much less frenetic but it still a popular place all year around. Downside it is a long way from the airport.

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big dilema: Albufeira or Lagos?

with disneyland I mean , a lot of tourists, frenetic,fairground,party's.

end augustus will be still alot of prople around.you have to book quick,Lagos has differents sites for accomodation: around de marina,meia praia,city centrum ,between de city and praia Dona Ana.

you have to see if you want to stay in city centrum of near the beaches.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
120 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big dilema: Albufeira or Lagos?

I found a place to stay in Lagos for less than 40 Euro/night. I want to stay away from British and Irish as much as possible, as I have them around all year :-) Thank you all for your suggestions. One more questions - are restaurants expensive? I am interested to see if we should book a place at a hotel, or a self-catering apartment. Once again, many thanks for all your answers!

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,175 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Big dilema: Albufeira or Lagos?

Congratulations with your booking rate. Restaurants are not expensive. All-in is not popular in Portugal, there are simply too many nice and affordable restaurants to choose from. Go self-catering.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
19,897 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big dilema: Albufeira or Lagos?

Is that place in Lagos or miles away in Lagos region?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
120 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Big dilema: Albufeira or Lagos?

After searching last night again, I found a place even cheaper and both are in Lagos city, no even in the suburbs. The one I found last night has a rate of 30 Euro/night for a room with double bed and one extra bed and breakfast included. We'll gonna go with Lagos as I noticed that the train is cheap and we can go around fairly easy.