We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alvor, Lagos or Tavira in the winter

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
115 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Alvor, Lagos or Tavira in the winter

We are considering a month's visit in Mid-February to mid-March and plan to rent a self-catering apartment. So far, it sounds like Alvor, Lagos or Tavira could make a good base, or we might split our stay into 2 locations for 2 weeks each. We would enjoy culture, history and the chance to go for long walks without the snow and sub-zero temps of home. Are these locations likely to offer good access to shops and restaurants and public transit in the winter? Tavira and Lagos sound like regular towns so I expect it would suit, but not sure if Alvor is a summer place. What are your experiences with these locations in the winter? Thanks

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,191 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Alvor, Lagos or Tavira in the winter

Alvor very much caters for tourism and will be much quieter during winter time. Both Lagos and Tavira are working cities which mix well with tourism.

Both locations have good access to public transportation. For Alvor it's a little limited, you have to go through Portimao first.

Restaurants and shops are available in all locations. Alvor may have some closed during the winter months.

The weather in the Eastern part of the Algarve usually is a little milder than the Western part.

Splitting into 2 locations sounds good!

Edited: 20 July 2014, 08:45
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,517 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alvor, Lagos or Tavira in the winter

I agree with the above. Both Tavira and Lagos have large resident populations, Alvor is essentially a big village, pop around 5,000. Dividing your time between Tavira and Lagos sounds a good idea in principle as you can use thelocal trains and buses to explore the areas nearby. If you stayed the whole time in one place you might find the three hour trips to other parts of the region rather tedious.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
115 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alvor, Lagos or Tavira in the winter

Thank you to both of you for giving me such helpful details. I also hadn't thought of the distances from Tavira to the rest of the Algarve, so a Lagos and Tavira trip might serve us the best. I appreciate your time.

4. Re: Alvor, Lagos or Tavira in the winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 06:15