We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bank cards

Which Albufeira hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tipperary, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
bank cards

going to Albufeira next week,i read a topic that bank cards with mastercard logo on them dont work their is this true? how is the weather their?

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: bank cards

This seems to be confusion between Credit Cards and Bank Cards. As far as I know, a Bank Card is issued by a bank so that you can access your money from an ATM. I think Mastercards are Credit Cards and have nothing to do with ATM's unless you are getting cash advances (which is a bad idea). There can be problems with PIN numbers..I think that if it is a 4 digit PIN, there is no problem. I carry two Bank Cards just in case one doesn't work at the particular ATM I am using.

Tipperary, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bank cards

Its a credit card i have with mastercard,it has a 4 digit password so will that work on the ATM to get cash? Thanks

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
772 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bank cards

magum,

I think this is the article you are referring to :http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189112-i331-k1225240-Cash_machines-Albufeira_Algarve.html

Afraid I can't help with advice as to whether the situation is now rectified, but perhaps a local resident - barlaventoexpert,Sunnylagos or cubsur - may be able to help you with this.I always make a point of taking both a Mastercard and a Visa with me when I travel just in case of a technical problem with one of them.

Tipperary, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bank cards

Thanks

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,025 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bank cards

You would be better off using your debit card to withdraw cash if you can. My UK Mastercard works without problem in shops but when withdrawing cash you have to be careful to select the correct procedure. Most of the ATM's will recognise your card as English and will display the instructions in English.

But, as I said, it's a while since I have tried.

6. Re: bank cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 13:20