We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eating out in albufeira

aberdeen
Level Contributor
418 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
eating out in albufeira

Hoping i can get some good tips for my stay in May at the Cerro da Marina as have found information received previously a great help and been able to pass on my own tips after holidays!

I am looking for recommendations on good eateries in Albufeira and also any good tips on what to see locally and whether its better using local transport or hiring a car.

I am holidaying at the beginning of May for a week with my mum and we are looking for a nice quiet break with good food and we enjoy walking around and seeing the local places of interest.

Any suggestions glady received!!!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,518 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eating out in albufeira

There are a number of reviews on Trip Advisor you will find useful

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189112-d264246…

The Cerro da Marina is a fair (downhill) walk (10 - 15 minutes) from the many restaurants of the old town but a car isn't much use as the centre is a pedestrian zone and you might end up parking almost as far away. A taxi should cost more than about €4; it's not on the bus route. BTW it's a steep uphill climb all the way back!

There is a very wide choice of eateries in the old town, ranging from the large steak-house type places catering mainly for tourists, to some small family-run establishments in the side streets, where you can get a set meal for about €6. You will enjoy nosing around for sure. There are several places just above the beach at Cais Herculano, where seating is outdoors and you can see the sea while eating. They can be a bit pricy though.

There is so much to see in the surrounding area if you have a car (or want to brave with the buses) so I can't even begin to suggest without knowing your preferences!

devon
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eating out in albufeira

Shaz4473 - I am hoping to book the Cerro de Marina in May too - it looks really nice and quiet - just what we need. I was wondering if the weather will be warm enough for sun bathing though?

aberdeen
Level Contributor
418 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eating out in albufeira

I must admit I am a bit unsure as to what the weather will be like as i have for the last 5 years played it safe and holidayed between the end of March and beginning of May in the Canary islands.

I wanted a different location this year and for a week I was looking for a local departure and the Algarve was the option that suited.

I am hoping that it will be around 20 degrees, dry and that the sun comes out(for a while)every day!!! Fingers crossed that I don't get a week of rain.

Still would be grateful if anyone can recommend specific eateries for me to try locally

thanks

devon
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eating out in albufeira

Yeh me too I always end up in the Canary Islands. I have heard that the Algrave is great value for money once you get there - which is good news!

England
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: eating out in albufeira

O Penedo is a lovely little restaurant on a side street if you are walking from the Marina into the Old Town. It has fanastic views of the beach and a homemade tiramisu to die for!

It has a good choice of meat/fish dishes and some vegetarian alternatives (very fussy teenage son loved their homemade pesto).

Casa da Fonte has a lovely courtyard setting with a good atmosphere but it is slightly pricier.

Cabana Fresca is another favourite - on Fisherman's Beach. They have patio heaters so if it does get chilly you can still sit outside.

Manjars is a local favourite - good food and good prices.

As for hiring a car I would personally recommend it if staying round by the marina. You can always park up by the Inatel beach and walk into the Old Town.

We hired a car and drove inland to some quaint little villages where time stood still.

Also by the marina is a fisherman's restaurant that a taxi driver recommended. Didnt get to eat there because it was crowded with locals - it was basically a house!

aberdeen
Level Contributor
418 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eating out in albufeira

Thanks for your suggestions, i have written them down and will look out for them when i am there!

I find that its handy when others can recommend somewhere

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,518 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: eating out in albufeira

Just a quickie - the car park near Inatel is currently only half its normal size as the rest is being used a storage area for the assorted building works. Also, the old road leading down to Inatel (where you can at present park) is due to be closed and pedestrianised soon. The multi-storey car park in town (although rather hard to find) is largely empty at the moment as Portuguese people consider €1 per hour too exorbitant!

I agree about O Penedo by the way. Also, look out for a little place called Prazeres, just off the square, where 15 of us had an excellent rather extended Sunday lunch a couple of weeks ago. I am also told the Casa Madeirense in Rua dos MFA (about 5 minutes walk up the hill from the square) is worth a visit.

chichester
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: eating out in albufeira

hi just a thought if you hire a car you must

drive to the village of guia,about 5 to 10 mins

drive from albufeira near the zoomarine.There are

3 restaurants we have used for the past 15 years

one called the pallidum,down a little side street,

one called the Atlantico in the middle of the

vilage oppsite the little offlicence that has thousands of lighters on the walls and ceilings.

The last one is called the cabantis just outside guia

by the crossroads (used to be called crazy corner).

All the restaurants are still owned by the same

people from the 1st time we used them in1988.

happy holidays not going until the end of june and

short break in october.

chichester
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: eating out in albufeira

hi just a thought if you hire a car you must

drive to the village of guia,about 5 to 10 mins

drive from albufeira near the zoomarine.There are

3 restaurants we have used for the past 15 years

one called the pallidum,down a little side street,

one called the Atlantico in the middle of the

vilage oppsite the little offlicence that has thousands of lighters on the walls and ceilings.

The last one is called the cabantis just outside guia

by the crossroads (used to be called crazy corner).

All the restaurants are still owned by the same

people from the 1st time we used them in1988.

happy holidays not going until the end of june and

short break in october.

10. Re: eating out in albufeira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 01:17
Get answers to your questions about Albufeira