We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel California

milton keynes, bucks
2 posts
Save Topic
Hotel California

Can anyone advise me regarding the smoking policy at this hotel. Are you allowed to smoke in the bar? and also in your room?

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel California

As of 1 January 2008, it is against the law in Portugal to smoke in all public places such as bars, restaurants, etc as well as accommodation establishments such as hotels, rental apartments and villas, unless they have specially designated areas, which few do.

Perhaps someone else can advise you though as to whether this hotel has the option of smoking rooms.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel California

I'm afraid that the simple answer is to ask the establishment themselves.

The laws on smoking in public places in Europe are utterly bizarre. It depends on the square metreage of the establishment, whether and when they serve food, whether the area is considered indoors or outdoors anon anon anon. Then of course you may encounter the rules of any particular establishment. I wish I was making this up.

Sorry, the best advise you'll get is to ask the owners.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
562 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel California

Have just got back this evening from this hotel!!

No smoking in the public areas but apparently on floors 6 - 8 you can smoke - or so other people staying there said.

I was on the 4th floor and smoked on the balcony - all rooms have a balcony - hope this helps.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,034 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel California

Yes that's just about right. In Portugal the law permits smoking in individual hotel rooms and I have found that many hotels have perhaps 20% of their rooms designated as 'smoking permitted' but 80% are 'non-smoking'. Some are of course entirely non-smoking, but that's their choice.

However, as has been stated, the law does NOT permit smoking in public rooms eg bars, restaurants, lounges unless certain conditions are complied with. Many are non-smoking really just to keep things simple!

In open areas eg balconies, patios etc smoking is generally OK.

5. Re: Hotel California

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 09:20