We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olhas d'agua

Which Albufeira hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
Level Contributor
352 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Olhas d'agua

Hi , visiting Portugal for the first time, this Easter, really looking forward to it.

Would love to receive info and details of websites for the Olhas d'agua area. Our interests include good food, walking and history. My husband also loves to fish and i would be very greatful to receive info on any companys that provide fishing trips, is it possible to fish from the beach and can fishing equipment be hired locally ?

Finally we are staying at the Oceanus apartments and i'd love to hear from anyone that has stayed here around April, are all facilities opened, will the beach be relatively quiet etc ?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,962 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olhas d'agua

I offer a couple of comments.

I don't know of anyone organising fishing trips at Olhos D'Agua. There are maybe half a dozen boats still working there however. I have never seen anyone fishing off the beach there, but there are rocks and cliffs at each end, only a couple of hundred yards.

I don't know of any websites specifically on Olhos D'Agua. It is effectively an eastern suburb of Albufeira. You can take a look at www.albufeira.com which has a good deal of information and also a forum populated by many ex-pats who live in the area. They might have some more information about fishy things.

The beach will be quiet at Easter - the Portuguese wouldn't even think of sunbathing until June. A lot depends on the weather of course, but it will be a lot warmer than Ireland. It's a nice, sandy beach if a bit narrow in places especially when the tide is in.

There is some good walking to be had along the beaches and up and over the cliffs, if you don't mind the odd scramble up and and down. At low tide you can walk around the base of the cliffs all the way to Albufeira. I have done that - the rocks can be very slippery however.

Olhos D'Agua has become rather built up over the past 5 years, but that does mean a lot of restaurants and bars. I don't know the eating and drinking situation there so I hope you can get a recommendation from another contributor.

Hope that helps and enjoy your stay.

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Olhas d'agua

restaurants for you to try

cigale on beach front at olhos expensive but good

cantina right where you are staying does steak on stone

laranjal just out of olhos on main road 5 min walk from you great food

ambrosia on left hand side up the hill from beach

azul on corner does good fish

fishing trips can be had from marina at villamoura

approx 60 euros for half day

I will be in olhos myself at easter so lets hope for nice weather

ireland
Level Contributor
352 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Olhas d'agua

Thank you both for all that info.

Yes lets hope for good weather indeed, I'm hoping it'l be about 20 degrees , is that realistic ?

Regarding fishing trips from Vilamora, any idea on company name that runs them ?

Thanks again

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olhas d'agua

not sure of company name but they advertise in most of the car rental agency windows

Temp should be 20 if its a sunny day but you will need light jacket fot evening

Algarve
Level Contributor
162 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Olhas d'agua

Algarve Seafaris are based in Vilamoura

www.algarve-seafaris.com or telephone: 00351 289302318 - English spoken.

They also have Big game fishing. I highly recommend them.

They provide transportation to and from Vilamoura.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
678 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Olhas d'agua

I would add Tavertinos to the list of restaurants and if you like Indian food, Licorne. About fishing trips I remember seeing some pamphlets called the big fishing game. Not sure how it works. In Olhos de Água there are fishermen and their boats are on the beach. They sometimes go to the sea and sell the fresh fish directly in the beach.

About history, Algarve is quite poor since most of the things were destroyed by the 1755 earthquake. Lagos, Sagres, Tavira and Faro have still some charm of the old times. Vilamoura has some roman ruins. But if you want history you might go somewhere in Alentejo, like the beautiful Mertola village, Serpa, Beja, Èvora or even Lisbon (3 hours away by car).

Walking, Falésia Beach might be quite nice to walk around. It is very, very big and you have many kilometres you can walk until Vilamoura.

In April the area will be relatively quiet. Oceanus is an aparthotel not that far away from Olhos de Água beach and near the main road. Know nothing about it. You are close to the supermarket, to the market and to restaurants. You can either go to Olhos de Água beach or try Maria Luisa. To Maria Luisa you have to follow the street in direction of Torre da Medronheira. You’ll get to a street full of cottages, there was one that belonged to the former president of Romania, I thing Figo the football player also has a house there. If you go really to the end of the road you have some steps that will take you to the beach.

Have a nice trip!

northampton
Level Contributor
253 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Olhas d'agua

Cath,

Have stayed in the Oceanus many times before and this year will be the first for eight that we not been to olhos d'agua (decided to travel out of the eurozone for change and better value with current exchange rates).

The Oceanus is a lovely hotel and this is backed up by the high numbers of regulars who return year after year. The pool area is nice ands their is a lovely snack bar run by Armindo which sells well priced breakfasts and lunches. Nice indoor pool as well and the rooms are good and the whole place is spotlessly clean. There is also a bar downstairs for the evening, although there are plenty of other bars around for you to relax in before or after dinner at any one of the many great restaurants, most of which have already been mentioned.

Try this link for the web site of a great place to eat within 2/3 minutes walk of Oceanus

http://www.restaurantecalheiros.com/index.bak

there is a site somewhere with a useful map on and i will try to get you the link for that as well

In the meantime have a great holiday i am cetain you will enjoy Olhos and the algarve.

We will be all inclusive in egypt, and mising the great food and bars which we are used to.

Paul

Leeds
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Olhas d'agua

As alreadt mentioned follow road past Tangerine restautrant to very end down a few steps to the great Maria Luisa beach there is a nice bar/ restaurant on beach and i have seen some locals fishing off the beach.

ireland
Level Contributor
352 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Olhas d'agua

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply, i couldnt have imagined i would get such useful info.

Reagrding possible day trips to Lisbon & Seville etc , is it possible to buy these in the Olhas area, or is there a tour operater you can recommend ?

One other question ! - is the Market in Olhas on everyday and is it just food available here

Scotland
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Olhas d'agua

Hi

You already have a lot of info,,but I have apt in Olhos D'Agua and a couple who stayed bought a fishing trip booked thro the Tourist info shop next to the chemist on main road almost opposite the Oceanus hotel..they absolutely loved it half day fishing with stop at little cove for picnic..think you also get picked up outside the tourist shop..