We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passport problem

ireland
Level Contributor
83 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
passport problem

hi all i am going to portugal on 3/5/09 for one weeks package holiday. my passport is valid until 26/6/09.

i contacted the portugese embassy and they have told me my passport is valid for my stay. however i contacted the travel agency and they said it is not as it needs to be valid for 6 months. i have tried ringing the irish passport office and dept of foreign affairs but cant get an answer from their phones.

the airline i am travelling with is monarch. any advise please.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passport problem

Your passport is valid.

Google is your friend ;)

http://www.embaixadaportugal.ie/engConFAQ.php

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,904 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passport problem

Portugal requires your passport to be valid only for entry and exit from the country, the problem is with the UK airlines, if i was you I would check with Monarch airlines to see if you will be still accepted to travel with them under their terms and conditions.

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: passport problem

I think these days, the EU border control is more relaxed about the passports and that the 6 month rules mostly applies for countries that require visas but as others have said, the airlines are the sticky ones. Checking with Monarch is good advice.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,071 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: passport problem

Checking with Monarch isn't just good advice, it's the only safe way to check. What the national embassy says is OK doesn't mean that the airline will agree. The airline can be hit with a very heavy fine if one of their passengers is refused entry to a country due to passport problems.

ireland
Level Contributor
83 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: passport problem

Hi and thanks to all for the advice.

I renewed my passport today but my husbands is out on the same day, the passport office in dublin would not accept his because the photo had a glare on it. I went to the travel company i booked with and they contacted

monarch and said it was ok.

I will have to wait and see now, hopefully wont be turned back at the airport.

6. Re: passport problem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2009, 04:27