We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Algoz, portugal

Which Albufeira hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cornwall
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Algoz, portugal

Hi - I am considering renting a (moorish) villa in Algoz but have no idea where this is in relation to where I have stayed before in Portugal. Is this area ok without a car, I remember staying in armacon de pera years ago - is it near there ?

I am told the villa is 2km from the Krazyworld (?)

Im worried it may be too rurual for me...and I dont fancy trying to find it with a car so was hoping to get a transfer and remain stress free without a car.

Also any idea about the weather 20th april - also any news on the spanish air strike that starts on 20th april !!!! Its not looking good for me, but my flight is booked.

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,286 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Algoz, portugal

Algoz is about 10km north-east of Armação de Pera and about the same distance north-west of Albufeira. The area has seen a lot of development recently. I would advise that you check the location of the villa carefully, as Algoz can be said to cover a wide area. I hope you have a correct location and full address, as the transfer company won't thank you if you don't know where it is.

The original village is quite small, there's a small market hall but there are not many shops etc and certainly not a big supermarket. It is indeed about 2km from Krazyworld - or at least the village centre is.

You might find it difficult without a car, depending on the exact location of the villa. Algoz village has buses to and from Albufeira and Silves, also to Guia and Messines but services are both irregular and infrequent. There is also a little railway station with trains 7 - 9 trains a day on the coastal line between Faro, Loulé, Portimão and Lagos.

Bus and train details on these pages of mine

www.algarvebus.info/006.htm for trains

www.algarvebus.info/020.htm for buses via Guia to Albufeira

www.algarvebus.info/021.htm for buses on the Albufeira - Silves route.

Weatherwsise April is hard to predict but the average daytime temperature should be in the high 60's F/20C - it is that today so the signs are good. It might rain - we get April showers here as well.

The Spanish strikes might only affect flights to Portugal if the air traffic controllers join in and planes are either held up in Spain or have to go a long way round to avoid Spanish air space. Having said that, the public sector in Portugal is staging ongoing strikes for the same reasons as in Spain eg wages and pensions cuts plus job losses, as the government seeks to balance the books following years of overspend.

There nothing whatever you, I or anyone else can do about that, so don't worry and just hope that it's ok on the day.

I hope that helps.

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Algoz, portugal

Algox is really not the place to stay without a car, unless you are close to the town centre and have no desire to really go anywhere else. It does not sound like the ideal location for you.

April is a quiet time of year and there are lots of options available to you, even if you have already booked your flights, so you don't have to go with this.

if you want more assistance in finding an alternative property, please let us know.

cornwall
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Algoz, portugal

Thank you for the info - im a bit put off now, as think we may be a little too deserted.

I have the full address, and they can arrange transfer for us as well, although i will check out the price on line before I confirm.

We dont want to travel around as we just want to relax by the pool, but we do like nice meals and a little entertainment.

The reason we went for this, was because it has a private pool and was in our budget, plus they only want a very small deposit because of the possible strike, so it seemed a good deal

The address is;

478p Barranco longo , Algoz.

8365-089

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,286 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Algoz, portugal

I am not sure, but I think is either the place or very near it. It is marked on Google Maps and there are some properties with pools clearly visible on the satellite view.

Caminho Agrícola do Barranco Longo, Algoz, Silves.

It is about 3miles north of Algoz to the west of the road towards Messines and is pretty well in the middle of nowhere.

You would be stranded without a car I am afraid, even to go shopping would be at least a 3 mile journey.

cornwall
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Algoz, portugal

Thanks so much for your advice we are looking at something more central now.

Whats your opinion of Almancil ? The villa we are now considering has the following locations nearby;

Vale de Lobo: 2km | Quinta do Lago: 2km | Ancão Beach, 700m | Quinta Shopping: 6 km | Almancil Center: 8km | Golf: 2km | SPA: 150m | Indoor swimming pool: 150m | Tennis Court: 150m | Restaurant: 700m | Kids Club: 150m | Faro Airport: 25km

cornwall
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Algoz, portugal

the villa is in....Vale do Garrao, not amancil

Armacao de Pera...
Level Contributor
6 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Algoz, portugal

Hi I am in fact the owner, of the cottage, it is 2klm not 3 miles or 3 klm it is a 20 minute walk to the centre of the village as well as being private has a daily bread delivery, and frozen food van every Saturday so you do not need the shops , the transfer company charge just €5 for a return journey to the village, check out the comment on the owners direct website before posting any comment as we get fully booked each year so your loss for listening to gossip was your loss of a good holiday

8. Re: Algoz, portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 November 2011, 15:35
liverpool
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Algoz, portugal

algoz123

I dont think it it gossip that has been written on this subject ,all that has been said is what you yourself seem to agree with is that it is a bit remote and if the owner tells you that the bread man and the meat man comes into the village with deliveries tells me it is a bit remote and I would have been happy with the advice that has been given on here as the poster said they did not want o hire

Armacao de Pera...
Level Contributor
6 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Algoz, portugal

Hi, what some people do not understand about Portugal many area are very close communities and often you have fresh fish & bread deliveries daily even within a village itself, it does not mean you are out in the sticks, what annoyed me was the person not only posted a comment they could not even spell the village they put Algox and it seemed they just give out advice by going on an outdated google Earth then posting it on here Algoz is so central to most things and you can read about the village at www.cometoportugal.com

Get answers to your questions about Albufeira