We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter Sunday

Which Albufeira hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dalgety bay
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Easter Sunday

Hi Guys,

Arriving on Saturday 23rd April and self catering with my family in a nice villa (I hope) LOL

Can anyone tell me if the Modelo will be open on the Sunday and Monday as it is Easter or should we rush off on the Saturday when we arrive to make sure we are stocked up till the Tuesday?

Also do you think we should book ahead for Sunday dinner or will most places be open as normal?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,349 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter Sunday

Every big supermarket will run normally, only small business will be closed and even so i'm sure that not all of them.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,937 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter Sunday

We don't know. The Sunday trading laws now allow even big stores to open all day Sunday and Holidays but whether they will open on Easter Sunday remains to be seen. Easter is an important religious holiday here. Even in the atheist UK big supermarkets (eg Sainsbury's) often don't open on Easter Sunday.

Modelo in town is open until 10pm on Saturday 23rd, the Continente at Guia until midnight.

A notice about Easter closing might go up a week or so beforehand. I shop at Modelo regularly so will be keeping my eyes open.

Small shops like the one in my part of town often don't open on Sundays and holidays in any event.

But all the big stores will be open on Monday 25th. Easter Monday is not a holiday here but it just so happens that 25th April is always a holiday - Freedom Day - so it runs on to make a long Easter weekend.

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
781 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter Sunday

I was also wondering if it would be best to pre book lunch/dinner for Easter Sunday and any recommendations as we will be a party of 7.Any suggestions? A nice place with a varied menu to suit all perhaps?

I understand why you are asking MotherNo1,we were the same as our shops up in Scotland don't close for Easter,if anything it's a terrible day to try and get parked near a shopping centre! only 11 more sleeps :)Tinkla

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter Sunday

I was at Modelo today and asked. They said that they will be open but don't know how long for. They will probably close earlier but can't give a time at this stage. Typical of Portuguese businesses.

dalgety bay
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter Sunday

Thanks everyone, can relax now as I feel reassured we can shop for our essentials on the Sunday. Now we can get some nice pool time on the Saturday afternoon...

Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter Sunday

motherno1dalg have sent you a private message re lunch

London
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter Sunday

Do you think it will also be open on GoodFriday?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,937 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easter Sunday

Pingo Doce (opposite Modelo) is open on Easter Sunday but will definitely be closing at 2pm but, as Bld211 says, Modelo don't know themselves if they will be open!

I personally doubt that they will open all day as the Portuguese would not expect to be going shopping on such an important day in the religious calender.

At least you will have a choice but you must go on Sunday morning.

But if the weather doesn't improve you won't have to worry about pool time Saturday!

Edited: 20 April 2011, 14:27
Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easter Sunday

Too right, just eat and drink!

10. Re: Easter Sunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 09:19
Get answers to your questions about Albufeira