We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

xmas in Albufeira Eden Resort

Which Albufeira hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
596 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
xmas in Albufeira Eden Resort

HI everyone, I'll be staying with my family at the Eden Resort from the 19th-27th Decemebr thsi year. Really looking forward to it! My mum, sister, brother and 6 year old son will be with me.

I just wondered, and I have scoured websites and forums, whether there will be any activites to do during this time. I knwo fomr what I have researched thats shops etc would be open, but is there anything in particular that we could do, day trip, something to give us a feel of xmas atall. Or any off the beaten path suggestions, we won't be driving but love to explore and do not want to be stuck on the resort all week. Especially as it will be our first xmas away, and from what I can gather the weather is jsut a case of crossing fingers. Any suggestions to keep us entertained will be great thanks :)

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,047 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: xmas in Albufeira Eden Resort

A couple of things to be aware of:

Everything shuts down early on December 24th. That includes shops and many of the bars and restaurants. Midnight mass is very high on most people's agenda.

Shops are closed on the 25th but you will find some bars and restaurants open for business as usual. If you want a British style Christmas Day lunch or dinner, it is absolutely essential that you book in advance. Not many places do this and those that do are booked up weeks ahead.

It's quite difficult to pinpoint anything 'Christmassy' in the British sense, partly because the religious aspect is so important for many.

The Albufeira outdoor 'gypsy' market should be open on the morning of Tuesday 20th. I am also fairly sure they had an extra one in mid December last year. That's up by the main bus station, 3/4 mile or so from Eden Resort.

If the weather's nice enough, and it can be, you might be able to go for a nice walk along the beach.

London, United...
Level Contributor
596 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: xmas in Albufeira Eden Resort

Hi Cubsur,

That is all really helpfull, I love markets so I will be going to that one definately. We will be okay for xmas dinner hopefully as the resort is providing that with entertainment, but I hope to venture out and have a xmas drink or pastry with the locals. I'm not really religious, but It woudl be nice to join in midnight mass, as I used to do this when I was younger

I pray for the weather, would make such a huge difference. Could I also ask if we could hop on any of teh busese to go for a day trip tro the neighbouring towns? My mum wants to go back to Lisbon and show the family around, but most things may be closed for christmas and I understand that you will need to get a train there anyway.

Thank you for all your help and adive, it has been really useful

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,047 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: xmas in Albufeira Eden Resort

There are often excursion type trips to Lisbon with local tour companies but whether any would be running that week I don't know. It's possible and you could always ask around at the ticket shops in town.

You can get to Lisbon by train easy enough. The railway station here is about 3 miles from Eden Resort. there buses to and from the station but unless you are feeling brave a taxi would be the best bet. To get a decent day in Lisbon you would have to get the 0728, which gets there just before 10am. Coming back there is a slow train at 1730 and a fast one at 1840. Nothing later. The journey on the fast trains takes a little over 3 hours, on the slow ones about 45 minutes longer. The stations in Lisbon are a 10 - 15 minute metro ride from the centre.

Return fare on the fast ones is currently 42 Euros.

You could also do the journey by coach but it would still need an early start to get a decent day out. The Lisbon bus terminals are also well outside the city centre.

You can certainly take the local buses from Albufeira to nearby places eg Portimao or Silves. Some of the Portimao buses and all the Silves buses stop at the bottom of hill near Eden Resort, otherwise it's up the bus station first. Then annoyingly back along the way you came, but they don't stop. You can get to these places for €5 or less. Going the other way are Vilamoura and Loulé.

I will send you more details if you need them. Meanwhile it is 29C/85F here and I need a drink!

London, United...
Level Contributor
596 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: xmas in Albufeira Eden Resort

Ahh that is all really really helpfull! Me and my mum got the buses and trams from the airport and around lisbon, so depending on how brave my family are we may try that to get to the train station, especially if it saves a bit of money! train to Lisbon sounds good have to check whether anything will be open or it won't be worth the journey ;0

We will definately be visiting the nearby towns and hopping on the bus to get there, looks like I will have to scope out this bus station early on as everything departs from there, except the bus stops you have mentioned near the resort. Definately not one to sit around and laze about all week unless i'n int the caribbean then it's at least a few days chilling by the beach then off to explore.

Ahh lucky you!! Weather is sunny one day then cold then next, mit just rained for 5 minutes :)

Edited: 17 August 2011, 17:12
Consett, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: xmas in Albufeira Eden Resort

im going to be at the eden resort from 22nd december 2011-29th dec 2011. will there be any markets near by the eden resort and is it really a 4 star accomidation?

UK
Level Contributor
153 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: xmas in Albufeira Eden Resort

The gipsy market is on the first and third Tues of the month, beware of pickpockets. The Portugese dont celebrate Xmas like we do, but they celebrate the New Year big time, NY eve there will be a big band on the beach in the old town with a fantastic firework dsplay. Hope y.ou'll enjoy.

7. Re: xmas in Albufeira Eden Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 11:16
Get answers to your questions about Albufeira