We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying with easyjet....is priority boarding worth it?

London, United...
Level Contributor
277 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
flying with easyjet....is priority boarding worth it?

Hello

Could anyone advise me if priority boarding is worth it with Easyjet? we are flying into Faro next week from Gatwick and staying just outside Albufeira. We are 2 ad and 2 ch (aged 6 & 9) and it's not essential we are seated all together as long as one parent is with one child. Unfortunately we won't get automatic priority boarding because my children are over 5 years.

Looked on their website and it appears we can only book both ways not just one way of £40 it has to be both ways making it £80. Sounds too expensive and from what I have been told that the return trip from Faro is pointless with the priority boarding because everyone regardless has to get on a bus/shuttle to get to the terminal.

Do most parents here recommend paying for priority boarding for older children?

Any advice will help!!

Leeds & Albufeira
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying with easyjet....is priority boarding worth it?

Only used once from Birmingham - and it was same both ways! people who had booked priority boarding were called to the gate first, then we all got on the same bus - with them now firmly trapped at the back - got to the plane and we all piled on regardless!

Was mildly amusing (but that may be me being smug) to hear them, quite rightly, complaining loudly. Same coming back from Faro- but I think many were used to it by then and there was a sense of resignation as we all piled on the bus.

Edited: 23 August 2011, 12:31
Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying with easyjet....is priority boarding worth it?

It is not essential, especially if you don't mind sitting 2 and 2, but make sure then that you are near the boarding area so that you are near the front of the queue when it is time to board. Also try and be near the doors on the bus, so that you are not the last to get off. Speedy boarding is expensive and although sometimes it is worth it to pay the extra, it is an expensive outlay for a family and boarding afterwards, you can see exactly where you want to sit.

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying with easyjet....is priority boarding worth it?

That did happen quite a lot Homekey, and many people demanded refunds, so they started using separate buses or getting priortiy passengers to exit the buses from a specific door. At the airport where you use the skywalk on the plane, you don't have that problem but it can still be shambolic.

Leeds & Albufeira
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying with easyjet....is priority boarding worth it?

Darn it - fun over!

Thanks Bld, I'll remember next time I use Easyjet!

South West scotland
Level Contributor
338 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flying with easyjet....is priority boarding worth it?

Depends on price really and how important it is to you to all sit together I suppose but we certainly experienced that people who paid for it got the correct service.

When we went in July this year speedy boarders and families with kids under 5 were definately on the plane first. (from Glasgow). Returning from Faro, again, speedy boarders(lots of!) and families were on the first bus and on the plane first. With Speedy boarding you will defo get sitting together but not necessarily get first choice of seats.

Do a dummy booking on the Easyjet website and it tells you how many seats are left for that flight. Give you a better idea of how busy it will be.

Lummie

manchester
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying with easyjet....is priority boarding worth it?

What if 90% book speedy boarding.Great for easyjet but no-one else.There should be a campaign to get people to not book SB thereby forcing easyjet to stop it and allocate seats at check in.much fairer as if seats together are essential,then u just have to check in earlier.

Leeds & Albufeira
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flying with easyjet....is priority boarding worth it?

I think Johnjen is absolutely right! many other companies (Jet2 being one) allocate seats as a matter of course. They do try to sell you a pre-booked seat but we've always been allocated seats together with no problem, book in is just the same but booked online, and check in on line and it's all done!

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
616 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flying with easyjet....is priority boarding worth it?

No! It's pretty much pointless!

It's quite fun watching everyone running across from the departure gate to the plane trying to get seats together though. As another poster says above, the speedy boarders usually end up on the same bus and then left for dead by people escaping and running on to the plane!!!

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flying with easyjet....is priority boarding worth it?

Easyjet limits the number of speedy boarding seats they sell and you will frequently see in the summer that they are sold out, so you can't book it, even if you want to. They have mentioned that they are going to change over to seat purchases instead but have not moved forward with this.

If anyone books with BA by the way, if you don't purchase a seat, you can select one free of charge at the time that you can check in, up to 24 hours before departure.

London, United...
Level Contributor
277 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flying with easyjet....is priority boarding worth it?

OK after being very undecided, I just phoned up easyjet customer services and paid £40 for one way priority boarding......couldn't do the return journey all sold out but I don't mind as least we can try both ways and decide whether it's worth it for future trips.

Thanks for all the advice......