We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Sol, Castelo

Tredegar, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Villa Sol, Castelo

Hi,

Have anybody heard of the Villa Sol, near Castelo in the Algarve, I have just booked to go there and there are no reviews on the villa at all. I have just asked Thomas Cook the full address of the villa so I can look on google maps to see exactly where it is, but they will only give me the address when I arrive at Faro airport - due to confidentiality!!! All I know is its 1.9km from the beach - which I assume is Praia Do Castelo Beach. Also will any of the bars and restuarants nearby be open at the end of May?

Mentioned in this post
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Faro Airport
Faro Airport
Faro, Portugal
Praia Gale
Praia Gale
1,000 Reviews
Gale, Portugal
Castelo Beach
Castelo Beach
54 Reviews
Albufeira, Portugal
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,677 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Sol, Castelo

I know the area. To be just over a mile from the Praia do Castelo (or any other of the beaches there) it must be up on the main road somewhere in or near Sesmarias.

Most places around there will be up and running by the end of May.

Mentioned in this post
Praia Gale
Praia Gale
1,000 Reviews
Gale, Portugal
Sesmarias
Sesmarias
Albufeira, Portugal
Tredegar, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Sol, Castelo

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately we have not hired a car, but we don't mind walking, so how far are the bars around there and also where is the nearest taxi rank - if there is one!!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,677 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa Sol, Castelo

Well if Vila Sol is where I think it is, there are bars and restaurants all along that road so you won't be very far away from somewhere.

I will try to remember to keep my eyes open when next I am on my bike up there!

There isn't a taxi rank nearby but the number to call is 289 583 230 if you want a taxi eg to Albufeira old town which is a couple of miles away. It's not a bad walk in daytime down the hill, through the marina and back up the other side. Might be a bit much after a night out, as the hill back up to Sesmarias is a bit steep.

There's a very irregular and infrequent bus which goes just to the edge of Albufeira old town

www.algarvebus.info/030.htm

Mentioned in this post
Albufeira
Albufeira
Faro District, Portugal
Sesmarias
Sesmarias
Albufeira, Portugal
Tredegar, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa Sol, Castelo

That will be great - thanks.

There are no reviews on this villa at all, so hopefully I haven't made a right boo boo in booking it.

In the brochure it does mention that the nearest restuarant is 900m and nearest shop is 800m.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa Sol, Castelo

Sounds a bit of a long way from anything but if you don't mind walking guess that's ok. Sounds to me like it might be in the new development between Sesmarias and Gale?

Mentioned in this post
Sesmarias
Sesmarias
Albufeira, Portugal
Gale
Gale
Albufeira, Portugal
Tredegar, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa Sol, Castelo

I think I found it on google maps and it looks like u r right. Its about a 10 min walk to jk's if it is the right property, which is not too bad.

Kilwinning, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa Sol, Castelo

Hi we stayed in Villa Sol in oct2011, the villa is really lovely I'm sure you wont be dissapointed. We did have a car and found it very handy. The villa is on the same road that you take to Joinal Villas and is a further 5-10 min walk after Joinal. It takes about 10-15 mins to walk to Scoobys but you can phone them to collect you and take you home. Back to the villa, it is very spacious and comfortable. The cleaner came in everyday we were there and she was very good. If you have the opportunity to hire a car I would, because we probably saw bits of the algarve we may never have seen otherwise. If you want any more infomation please do not hesitate to contact me.

Tredegar, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa Sol, Castelo

thanks for that, i was getting really worried since there were no reviews anywhere on the villa. I did manage to find where the villa was on google maps but wasn't sure what the address was to orangise transfers from the airport since we r not hiring a car. Is the Apolonia supermarket the closest shop from the villa and does it have a cash withdrawal machine or would be have to go into Albufeira?

Mentioned in this post
Albufeira
Albufeira
Faro District, Portugal
Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,255 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa Sol, Castelo

I think it is very wrong to take payment for a holiday and not disclose the full address of the property. You have a right to know what you are paying for and especially once you have paid in full, there cannot be any justification in withholding this information from you.

I agree with WACT that the location sounds more like Sesmarias. Castelo is the area around the beach of the same name and does not extend 2km back, as you are suggesting.

The ATM at Apolonia was stolen in October and has not been replaced. Oceana supermarket may be closer but can't be sure unless you can give us a better location. I think that you are going to struggle a bit without a car unless you really like walking. There is an excellent restaurant diagonally opposite JK's called Jompra. If you look at the Albufeira Restaurant Reviews in the top left sidebar, you will be able to read about all those mentioned.

Mentioned in this post
Sesmarias
Sesmarias
Albufeira, Portugal
Restaurante Jompra
Restaurante Jompra
592 Reviews
Sesmarias, Portugal
Albufeira
Albufeira
Faro District, Portugal
Kilwinning, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Villa Sol, Castelo

The Oceana is def closer than Apolonia, not sure about an ATM at this supermarket though. Sorry dont know full address of the villa don't think I was given it, was only issued directions. If you look at the google map and follow the road up from Joinal Villas, after the left turn to get into Joinal count 4 left turns on the 4th left turn it will take you into a large parking area and a dead end Villa Sol is in that street, if you think about walking into that street villa sol is 2nd villa on the left. I hope this helps.