We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toll question re: Hire Car

England
Level Contributor
284 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Toll question re: Hire Car

Obviously the tolls have just started recently (A22), so has anyone had any problems with rental vehicles?

One possible scenario is, I pick up the hire car at 16.00pm and someone has used the car the same day and used the A22. I'm not using the A22, but how do they determine which driver used the A22 that day (2 different hires)?

Could I possibly be charged for the other persons usage?

The hire company would have a swipe of my credit card, so I suppose could charge me?

Or is it trouble free?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,559 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toll question re: Hire Car

There's a lot been written about this as I am sure you have seen. My comments

Could I possibly be charged for the other persons usage? Apparently yes

The hire company would have a swipe of my credit card, so I suppose could charge me? This they seem not to be doing

Or is it trouble free? Far from it! One big issue that has come up is that if you are using car without a toll tag it takes 48 hours for your account to appear in the system. This means that it is physically impossible for you to pay a toll you might have incurred on the way back to the airport. Which is also why you might get charged for someone else's usage.

No-one thought of that. I guess the powers that be assumed that the rental companies would fit all their vehicles with the tags and bill the users themselves. Not so it would appear.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,844 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toll question re: Hire Car

Robby reading other peoples experiences it doesn't look straightforward. Somebody said they had gone to the post office after using the A22 to pay only to find that other people who had used the car previously hadn't paid so it was still on the system. On questioning this they were told they would have to pay the whole amount showing. Apparently ( & if the info is true) you have 5 days to pay and then you are fined for not paying within the said period. The big problem is that the charges don't show up on the post office system for 24/48 hrs so if you have used the A22 for your journey back to the airport there is no way you can pay even if you wanted too and you just have to wait for the car hire company to charge it to your credit card, the only thing is you could be paying for someone elses usage. I don't think the hire companies have got their act together to define each persons usage, nor are they giving any straighforward info to their customers re the toll charges..A friend of mine who hired a car recently said the hire company kept their credit card details plus they took note of the 3 digit security code and is now wondering whether she will receive a bill even though they didn't use the A22. All in all its a fiasco and I should imagine there will be lots of unhappy people. How long it will take to iron out all the flaws is another thing & personally the government & the hire companies should have come to some agreement before they brought the tolls in force.

Edited: 09 January 2012, 11:01
Dublin
Level Contributor
791 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Toll question re: Hire Car

It appears that the electronic device specifically designed for car rentals is not yet available. According to algarveyorcar.com the new law stipulates the following procedures will be applied for rental cars:

A22 TOLLS FOR ALGARVE CAR HIRE UNTIL DECEMBER 31ST 2011

The Algarve Car Rental Companies are obligated to identify the driver of each hire car passing by the toll road stations. The normal traffic fines will later be sent by post to the driver's address. There is also the possibility to pay the fines on any Portuguese Post Offices (CTT) 48 hours after passing the toll station, by informing the car plate and dates.

COMMENT:

I Presume they are provided with the time of day the car passed the toll station.and this is how that will work. However this does not solve the dilema Jayjan refers to about someone turing up at the Post Office and being faced with tolls for which the previous renter is responsible.

A22 TOLLS FOR ALGARVE CAR HIRE BETWEEN JANUARY 1ST AND JUNE 30TH 2012

All Algarve Car Rental Companies will be obligated to pay a 6 months permission to allow their cars to use freely the toll roads. For the car hire companies in Portugal, this will be mandatory. A special rule has been published on December 12th 2011, allowing Portuguese car rental companies to charge locally a tolls tax. This tax is predicted to be between 1.00 EUR and 3.00 EUR.

A22 TOLLS FOR ALGARVE CAR HIRE AFTER JULY 1ST 2012

All Algarve car rental vehicles will have to be equipped with an electronic device identify the car on the Algarve A22 tolls system. The clients will then have to provide valid a credit card and sign a contract with one of the companies in charge of the tolls charges (CTT) valid during the duration of the car hire contract. All toll charges eventually generated will be charged directly to the client's credit card. No charges will be made if the driver doesn't use any tolled roads. However, a mandatory rental charge for the electronic device is predicted around 0.60 EUR daily for all clients.

England
Level Contributor
284 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Toll question re: Hire Car

I have read a bit on this, but wanted 1st hand new experiences.

Initially I assumed as I wouldn't be using the A22, then no problems as nothing to pay, but maybe there will be problems with the changeover of cars? Paying at the tolls (booths) would make life easier? Many problems for the tourist maybe? I certaintly don't want to be billed or fined even for someone elses usage! I also don't want the hassle of fighting to claim back a charge which wasn't mine and shouldn't have been issued. Any issues and I won't be hiring a car again, which would mean avoiding the Algarve completely and back to Spain etc.

England
Level Contributor
284 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Toll question re: Hire Car

Thanks Aces1 for that.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,844 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toll question re: Hire Car

Regarding paragraph 3 on yorcar website 1st Jan 2012 to 30th June 2012 a tolls tax charged by the carhire companies. Has anyone who has hired a car from 1st January had experience of this tolls tax charge being added to their car hire costs, or is it still the same old system which is causing endless problems?

Leeds & Albufeira
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toll question re: Hire Car

Booked a car for march this year and no mention of the "Tolls Tax" - no doubt this will be an extra charge when we arrive......And I bet they are all 3 euros a day as a minimum!

However - this may prevent the late charge fines - or may not.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,844 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toll question re: Hire Car

Homekey I have read somewhere but can't remember where that an amount of 0.60cents per day was mentioned.

Its obvious to me this method hasn't taken off otherwise the car hire companies would have informed future clients. Hopefully we may get an answer of the experience from someone who has recently hired a car, fingers crossed. Saying that, maybe not all car hire companies will subscribe to this method, unless its compulsary.

Dublin
Level Contributor
791 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Toll question re: Hire Car

Jayjan

The 60c you refer to is a " mandatory rental charge for the electronic device", which they say "is predicted around 0.60 EUR daily" after 1 July next.

With regard to someone going "to the post office after using the A22 to pay only to find that other people who had used the car previously hadn't paid so it was still on the system. On questioning this they were told they would have to pay the whole amount showing" I would advise that they make it clear that they are only willing to pay the ampunt that is owed, to do so with a credit card,

If that is refused to note in their diary the name of the counter clerk, date & time of the refusal, the details, and to inform their credit card provider of the facts and request that they only pay the amount due. If the person is from UK, they should also inform the credit card provider that they are invoking protection under Section 75 of the UK Consumer Credit Act 1974, which makes credit card providers equally liable (with the Toll Company) for ensuring that they are only charged for what they actually got/used in respect of the motorway..

In that way the person can protect themselves from the Toll Company subsequently swiping both tolls for which other people are responsible and late fees or fines etc. All purchases between ST£100 and ST£30,000 made with a UK credit card or store card are covered by Section 75. Even if you only partially pay with the card you are covered for the whole amount, or the item is obtained from an overseas supplier or bought abroad, as would be the case in regard to toll charges.. .

The legislation can even offer a refund for any outlay you had to make (known as a 'consequential loss') as a result of a problem, as is clearly the case in respect of the non sencial approach taken by the postal clerk.Even if all of the charges were incurred by the person concerned, surely they would be entitled to pay some of the charges and thereby reduce any subsequent late payment fees or fines etc.

Clearly a case of an individual not being able to recognise that responsibilities come with discretion in regard to how they are applied and implemented.. For example what if the Toll Company now found itself unable to collect the legitimate charge and or is put to addition expense or trouble in doing so arising from the protections afforded under Section 75, and decided to withdraw payment of the toll charge at Post Offices and make alternative arrangements.

Is this in the interest of the Post Office, who lose the business?, or Post Office Clerks who might be made redundant due to loss of business?.. . .

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,844 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toll question re: Hire Car

Aces thanks for info on the 60cents mandatory charge for rental of electronic device.

How can you be covered under section 75 if your toll charges are under £100? I would hope that not many people would have toll charges of £100 or more unless of course there were fines involved.