We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CS Sao Rafael Atlantic Hotel

Bridgend,Mid Glam
Level Contributor
83 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
CS Sao Rafael Atlantic Hotel

After reading a reply on TA regarding the above hotel - CS group in receivership etc. I visited my local Thomson shop to get advice and change my booking with them to a different hotel. The staff at the Thomson shop didnt know anything about this hotel group going into receivership - they were prerpared to change my booking but only at a charge of £50 pp. They are going to look further into it and come back to me. I have googled Algarve daily news and Aflgarve resident and found articles regarding the receivership. Has anyone had a similar experience - I dont see why I should pay to change my hotel due to the circumstances. I would prefer to get everything sorted before I go on holidays - dont want any nasty surprises.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Olhos de Agua
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CS Sao Rafael Atlantic Hotel

CS Hotels group exist and still open. Atlantis hotel is lovely and with very nice service, pools and locacion. Is a litle bit far away from Albufeira oldtown but is possible go walking or use taxi service. Is not a long walk from Albufeira marina. I send you the Hotel web site and you can email it or phone:

http://www.cshotelsandresorts.com/eng/

Leonor

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,532 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CS Sao Rafael Atlantic Hotel

The CS group is still trading but is in financial difficulties. I think you are right to be a little worried.

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CS Sao Rafael Atlantic Hotel

Leonor, how much do you really know about this?

Yes the hotels are open and trading but I think only honouring such package deals. As far as I know, the bank has appointed security guards and the entrances are chained off and only the tour buses are allowed in with groups. The rest of the time, the hotels look deserted with no walk-ins and the receptions from the road look deserted.

Under these conditions, I would demand the surcharge back for changing the bookings. Send copies of the articles to Thompsons.

Edited: 20 May 2012, 09:05
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,532 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CS Sao Rafael Atlantic Hotel

As of today the CS group website has the São Rafael Atlantico blocked to new reservations.

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CS Sao Rafael Atlantic Hotel

Good! That is very long overdue!

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CS Sao Rafael Atlantic Hotel

personally if I had a booking through a tour operator at a cs hotel then I would demand a switch of hotel to one of a similar standard and rating from their brochure with no administration charge or fees from them

beckenham
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: CS Sao Rafael Atlantic Hotel

Hello, just wanted to check if you 'd had a further response from Thomson? I'm off to Cs hotel in September and very keen to change hotel, hopefully without paying any penalty.

Many thanks.

Bridgend,Mid Glam
Level Contributor
83 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CS Sao Rafael Atlantic Hotel

Hi, Thomsons today charged us £200 (£50 per person) to change hotels but discounted our total booking for our new hotel by £150. Red tape way of doing things I would suggest. Not perfect by any means - and I intend to write to them. The girls in the local Thomson shop have been very helpful.

One of my main concerns was that Thomsons would cancel our booking closer to the departure date and offer us a hotel that we would never book - we tend to book 5* hotels (Couples since been introduced) I would not be happy paying for a holiday that meant 3* family hotel. Please dont take that the wrong way when I was younger with the children that is what I booked but now I am getting older (in the departure lounge :) have changed what I book due to my circumstances. My other concern was arriving at the hotel and finding what was posted on tripadvisor to be correct - nightmare! I really did not want to take that chance. P.S. Thomsons would not honour the internet price for the hotel we changed to . As a loyal and what I thought was a valued customer this experience has opened my eyes. Thomson will no longer be my first choice travel company to book with - for the sake of £50 - I think they need to look at their principles!

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CS Sao Rafael Atlantic Hotel

which hotel have you chosen/been moved to ?

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: CS Sao Rafael Atlantic Hotel

Riu Palace, we know we can rely on good standards and service there.

Get answers to your questions about Albufeira