We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

Level Contributor
44 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

First of all, I am not one for leaving negative reviews but this place is the biggest con I have come across and I dont want anyone else to be ripped off like us!

We booked the hire car through travel republic and paid about £80 which we thought was reasonable. This included the Total Damage Collision Excess Waiver which was an additional cost but we thought it was worthwhile.

When we went to collect the car we handed over our paperwork (which we booked in my husbands name as he was the driver) and was told that we could either leave a 900 euro deposit or pay 60 euro for the excess waiver. I explained we had paid for this and pointed it out on the paperwork and she said "this means nothing to us". I explained we had paid additional money for it and she just shrugged and said that it didnt apply to their cars.

We reluctantly paid the 60 euro and was then told we had to pay a further 80 odd euro for petrol (for a 1.2 fiesta). I explained we wouldnt need a full tank and she told me everyone has to pay it. I said in that case we would have a smaller car and she told me the cost of fuel would be the same!

By this point I was fed up and had wasted enough of my first day so said I would pay. I handed over my credit card and she said to pay with it I would have to be insured too. I explained it was a joint account but she refused and said I would have to pay a further 16 euro.

Only when she asked me to put my pin in did she say that we also had to pay VAT on all this (on fuel??)

When we went out to the car it had a huge scratch and scuffs on the rear driver side. I pointed this out to a member of staff (after spending 10 minutes trying to convince him to the car) and asked that he note this on the paperwork. He said as we had paid the 60 euro waiver it didnt matter. I explained that I did not wish to be held responsible for the damage but he refused to note it on the paperwork. I have ended up taking photos on my phone to prove it was there before we took it.

We were told it would take 5 minutes to drop the car back off. When we went the car park was so jammed with parked up cars we couldnt even get to the drop off point and ended up just handing the keys to a very surly lady member of staff who didnt even say "hello, thank you, kiss my a***"

If you have booked a car with goldcar I would STRONGLY recommend you cancel if you can and go elsewhere.

Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

Faro Goldcar Sept 21 - 28th 2013- 1 hour wait in heat, meant drive to hotel after a long journey was stressful in the dark. They were rude, also would not accept husbands debit card as main driver, I had to pay extra £32 to be the named driver and him additional, even though he was driving, as had to be a credit card. Long carry on - eventually got to car, awful start to holiday. Having to return with empty tank when we only used a quarter of a tank max was another rip off. Returned to airport intact, no damage, inspected, OK'd. They allegedly unblocked my credit card to reflect this. Today I have found an extra charge of £120.15!!! I have no idea what this is for! Had to pay today so I did not incur extra charges. Am livid! I lost my job just before this holiday and my husband is a low income earner in the NHS, we can't afford to be ripped off like this. Avoid at all costs, use Sixt in Faro, they are always very good.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,861 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

wow I would contact Goldcar and complain and demand the reason why £120 was taken from your card.

Did you order the car direct through Goldcar or an agency? If its from an agency I would complain to them also & see if they can do anything for you. Big problem you will face though is it being Goldcars word against yours for the reason they took the money.. How this company still gets customers with all the complaints against them I do not know.

Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

Thanks for responding. I have no idea how they still get away with it either. I got them through Holiday Autos, a 'reputable' company - problem is that you don't know who they are going to give you as the actual car rental firm until the transaction is complete. I fear that is the last I will see of my money.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,635 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

Inform your credit card company about what has happened, looks like they have taken an in unauthorised payment from you. As for everyone else...always find out first who your eventual rental company is, if they can't tell you this go to someone else, there are companies who do bring back fuel as you found it. ..travelrent drive4fun are such two. Hope you get a result in the end.

Sunderland, United...
1 post
Save Reply
25. Re: Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

Completely agree with all of the previous comments, a total rip off

But why are rental agencies still using this company?

Surely with all of the bad publicity they should be struck off with agencies in this country

Edited: 11 October 2013, 18:54
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,861 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

Obvious the car agencies don't know how many complaints there are against this company, because people don't contact them with negative feedback, either that or the agencies involved with Goldcar are only interested in turnover and not customer satisfaction.I know if it was my car agency business they would have been booted out long ago.

J W
The Hague, The...
1 post
Save Reply
27. Re: Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

We also used a cartrawler website to book a car in Faro. I selected the cheapest one and only after confirming the hire did I find out it was goldcar. We booked a family stationwagon (group F) with zero excess for three weeks. Just the car costs 144€ the extra insurance 155€.

After reading loads of negative reviews I was getting apprehensive. I think the main issue is the cartrawler website selling their own insurance without explicitly stating this is the case. The website in effect takes away business from the car company. Whether or not this is arranged in mutual agreement I do not know.

I emailed Goldcar Faro and asked for their insurance options. They emailed me back and quoted me 150€ for the Super Relax Insurance and 18€ for the toll thingy. They also told me about the full policy which I was already aware of from the website but did not give me an actual quote. I guess it depends on the current fuel price. Full to empty is not uncommon for rental companies by the way.

I decided to cancel my insurance from the website and will get the Goldcar insurance instead. It is actually a bit cheaper at 150€ for three weeks.

All in all we will pay about 500€ for a big car for three weeks. This includes one extra driver, one child seat and an expected fuel bill of 120€.

Main thing is to get the insurance from Goldcar and not the car rental website!

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

why pay €150 for 3 weeks insurance when you can take out an annual car insurance excess policy of £40 which covers unlimited rentals and unlimited drivers as well as damage to the wheels, rims, roof and underside of car.

https://www.icarhireinsurance.com/…

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,861 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

Good advice Gary but do goldcar accept these annual insurances, that's the question and even having an annual policy which covers everything you are still liable to pay the car hire company should there be any damage & then claim it back from your insurers.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

jayjan thats true what you say, you will initially pay for any damage and then claim it back from your policy

thankfully ive never had to do it but from reviews i have read they are very efficient in processing your claim

what you are basically paying for is peace of mind.